Mastic gum

Posted , 5 users are following.

Just wondered If anybody had taken mastic gum to get rid of hpylori and if it worked im thinking of getting some I read online it can work.i tested positive for it and had 7 days of triple therapy but my consultant said he his not going to retest me to see ifs gone he said it should have gone but I want to know if it has it made me really ill for 4 months and don't want to go thro it again so I'm going to try the mastic gum.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

It did not work for us after tripple thearpy...2nd treatment we used bismuth not a PPI, and continued the bismuth nightly for several weeks weening it..4 months or so later we had an upper endoscopy, biopsy and No HP. Bismuth was the original product along with an antibiotic that resolved peptic ulcer induced by HP.

HP needs an elevated PH, not a normal 1.2ph...PPI's raise the stomach ph to 4ph..lactic acid bateria can "supress" HP...fermented foods and probiotics. I would suggest using bismuth and as many variations of fermented foods that you tolerate. Then and only after 4 months of this type self treatment pay for a UBT (urea breath test)..doesn't cost that much, and you don't want HP regardless..if positive, you've proof positive to present to your consultant.

I wouldn't discount mastic gum, it could be helpful in combination with treatment suggested above. Mono therapy's don't work for  HP infection.

• Posted

Be aware that if you take bismuth your stools can darken so dont frighten yourself to death! Mastic gum in my view does help. I use EMMA straight from the factory in Greece as believe it or not thyey are way cheaper than Amazon.
  • Posted

Sorry I've only just seen your post.

I have H pylori too. I've tried Mastic gum but found it unpleasant so perhaps should have persisted more. I'll be interested in your own experience.

But I cannot understand your Consultant's reluctance to test again for H. pylori. If this is the case ask for a different consultant or get your GP to give anyone of the available tests.

I take PPIs but only when I get a flare up. And swear by 3 x 500mgms of Boots Calcium Carbonate as soon as pain starts.

Lately, having heard all about recent research into the right bacterial content in the intestinal tract, I've been taking daily probiotics and a decent quantity of live Yoghurt for breakfast, and Turmeric.

I'm amazed. I seem to have lost all stomach pain (Hope it's not short term !)

• Posted

Thanks for your reply derek58875.I think I'm going to ask another doctor for a retest I don't want to be ill like I was before it's been happening since I was in my late teens and im now 37 it made me feel really ill for about 3 months at a time but the consultant said it should of gone but I know sometime the antibiotics don't work I'm trying the mastic gum and if my doctors will not retest me in going to pay for a breath test doing which will cost me £33 but I don't care how much it costs I just want to know if it's gone I'll repost on this thread to let you know how I go with the mastic gum I'm going to take it for 3 months.
    • Posted

Hi Ginette

Agree 33 quid is nothing compared to getting well again. But do try to improve the gut flora as mentioned.

Don't know if you are aware but there are three different recipes for the treatment. And each has a well researched level of effectiveness.

Each varies in cost, the most expensive having the highest success rate (and is the only one used in Germany). The cheapest is generally used in third world countries and of course has the lowest success rate

It would be of interest to know which you were given.

1. omeprazole 20 mg bid (there is evidence other PPIs work equally and I happen to prefer Cimetidine);

2. bismuth subcitrate 1 tablet qid;

3. tetracycline HCl 500mg qid;

4. metronidazole 500mg tds.

This is the middle recipe and my guess is that this is the one you were given

In Germany the following one is used and has a 90% to 95% success rate

1. omeprazole 20mg bid(other PPIs work equally);

2. tinidazole 500mg bid;

3. clarithromycin 250mg bid. (This is the expensive drug)

The cheapest is the following and is generally used in Third World countries.

1. Bismuth subcitrate 1 tablet qid;

2. tetracycline HCl 500mg qid;

3. metronidazole 250mg qid or 400-500mg tds.

If you had bad side effects from your previous treatment maybe you should be given one of the other top two.

All the best with the mastic gum

• Posted

I was given 2 different antibiotics Ive forgot what they were called and lanszopozole I'm have been taking a probiotic for about a month now and same with the mastic gum when I've taken the mastic gum if my doctor will not retest I will pay for a test doing myself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.