Medication changed from Venlafaxine and Quetiapine to Ven and Aripiprazole

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi Everyone. Have posted alot these past couple of weeks. (Under venlafaxine). Have been diagnosed with Bipolar 2 recently (wrongly diagnosed with unipolar depression last year and this year and treated with antidepressants which made things worse). Tapering off venlafaxine and was prescribed quetiapine a few weeks ago. Was really unwell this morning with hardly any emotions, slowed thinking and additional anxiety. Felt even more detached than previously and had to get in touch with a CPN. Luckily I got to see a psychiatrist (this was a pre-arranged appointment but I had never received a letter to tell me to attend!) . I (and my CPN) only discovered this when he was trying to contact the psychiatrist urgently. My psychiatrist has changed me from quetiapine (after 4wks trial) as he feels it is to blame for flattened emotions and slowed thinking while the anxiety is caused by the venlafaxine. He wishes to taper off the remaining 75mg of venlafaxine after I have been balanced on my new med. It's called Aripiprazole. Has anyone had success with this medication? Any replies would be a real help as feel like I'm on a bit of a rollercoaster ride at the moment. Thank you in advance.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I have BP-2 also. I tried Aripriprazole but had to stop because it made me very restless where it was almost impossible to sit still. I had to get up frequently and walk around instead of just sitting.

You may have better luck as not everyone gets the same side effects.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Doug. I've had no sleep all night and feel terrible. Went to psych yesterday as feel detached from everyone, confused, anxious and have no loving feelings at all (I'm usually a very compassionate person) . Was changed to Aripiprazole and feel even worse. Feel desperate and can't stop the anxiety. Do you have any advice? Are these feelings what happens in Bipolar 2?

• Posted

Hi Doug. If you don't mind me asking, what do you take for your bipolar 2?

• Posted

hi. just stumbled on this forum.

have, i believe, been misdiagnosed with major clinical depression most of my 

adult life. (only ever saw doctors when in low state)

am on venlafaxine 150mg not working of course but stuck on it. its the worst

drug to come off ever..scary.

medication is so confusing dont want to end up worse than now. i have a job

etc i need to maintain. i love my mania too. not sure want to give that up yet 

as i can manage that.

what do i do now? so hard to bare all to yet another doctor.

• Posted

Hi Lily. I am currently coming off Venlafaxine and staying on the mood stabilizer instead. It's not the best of meds to get off but I've managed to drop from 150mg to 75mg about 3 wks ago and dropped to 37.5mg 2 days ago. I couldn't tolerate it any longer as I didn't feel like myself and found it made me feel so horrendous and had no proper emotions and struggled to think straight. If you want to come off see if you can get your docs support as it helps. I'm coping not too bad with coming off the drug and feel the better of it despite side effects.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated. That is my goal to reduce my venlafaxine slowly. Would be good to feel again. I'll have to bite the bullet and see a doctor hope they listen.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.