Medication for osteopenia?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 69 and have just been diagnosed with osteopenia.  Osteoporosis is in the family - my mother and aunt - and, although my Vitamin D level in February was 75 nmol/l, last year it was 22.2nmol/l and I don't know how long I had been so deficient.

I'm now waiting for the DXA scan report to be sent to my GP, but am wondering if I will be advised to go onto medication, considering my age and risk factors.  Has anyone been in a similar situation?

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Because the medications are so fraught with side effects especially the jaw one when having teeth extracted I would think making sure calcium and vitam d levels were optimum and doing weight bearing exercises would be a better way to go at this stage. 

What were your t scores? How close to the -2.5? 

• Posted

Hi

'm 68, and was told lifestyle changes were enough when diagnosed with Oteopinia.

I had a vit D blood test.......dont understand the numbers but was told it was very low. Dont know how long it had been that low {like you} I was sent for a DEXA scan which said I had osteoporosis so I'm on medication now......same age as you.....well 69 in 2 weeks time wink

I'm on a calcum with vitiman d in it twice a day and after some trial and error I'm on another one but it is only once a month {Ibandronic Acid}

Dont know if that is any help to you.

Love

Eileen   UK

• Posted

Thank you both.  Kathleen,  my T scores were:  Hip -1.6 and Spine -1.7.  So not very close to -2.5, which may mean that treatment will just be keeping an eye on my calcium and Vitamin D levels.

Eileen, you don't think we're related do you?  I'm 69 in 10 days!  Did you have any problem getting a DEXA scan?  I had a bit of a struggle.   My GP was going to send me for one, after I asked, but then felt he couldn't because I didn't fit the criteria.  My mother fractured her wrist, but not her hip.  It was a gastroenterologist I was seeing for acid reflux who decided to try to refer me - again, after I'd asked.  So, it's taken me about a year.  Also, once I reached a Vitamin D level of 75 nmol/l, my GP told me I didn't need to take Vitamin D supplements any more!  Anyway, it's interesting to see what treatment you have been offered, thank you for that.

• Posted

Hi

Dont think weare twins but not far from it  wink My birthday is on Tuesday (19th}

The problem I had getting my DEXA was not the GP {for once}!!!!

I got an appointment and just as I was ready to leave for it I got a call to say it had been cancelled. The machine was broken

Got another appointment sent through and the same thing.....that mornin about 1 hour before leaving a call.....the machine is broken!!!!

Got aother appointment.  This time it was an afernoon one. I had to go out in the morning so my husband took me, and after that we went to a market town close by this hospital {different one}   about 20m miles eiher way.  We wandered round shops and had lunch thn went fo the appointment......Guess what???????????? Cancelled.....machine was broken. We rang but got no reply as what they said......did they expect me to wait in most of the day waiting for them to ring me to say it was cancelled again!!!!!

I blew my top and said I wanted my expenses.

OK....got to the office and they will give you your parking fee back.

IVE GOT A BLUE BADGE, I DONT PAY I WANT MY PETROL REFUNDED......caps are for them not youcheesygrin  So of I went to the office and they gave me my petrol money backwink

We had had a good  day walking round and having lunch but I wasnt telling them thatbiggrin

So got a fourth apointment.....it was a morning one, I rang up before leaving the house to check the machine was working.....Yes it was....fantastic.....th time lucky  cheesygrin

Sorry for the ramble but you did ask if I had any problems with the appointmentcheesygrin

Love

Eileen   UK

• Posted

Yes, I did ask, Eileen!  What an absolute farce you've had to endure. Is it a very old machine?   At least you finally got your scan, thank goodness.
    • Posted

Hi Rosie

I dont think it ws a prticularly old machine.....I wonder if they were excuses??????

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hello Rosiemags,

I'm nearly 60 and was diagnosed with osteopenia 10 years ago, when my mother was diagnosed with full-blown osteoporosis.  I've been on a number of medications and my vit D level is actually very high.  I've been on Actonel, protelos and now Prolia.  I took Actonel for 5 years then switched to protelos, but my GP refused to give me that over a year because of the stroke risk.  The Prolia is an injection given twice a year and initally I wasn't going to go for the second one.  However, at the end of March my mother was admitted to hospital for severe pain from vertebral compression fractures, and she'll only be coming out next week.  Seeing how she was and how bent over she is, made me go to my GP for the second Prolia injection.  It is a condition I would not wish on my worst enemy.  My DEXA t-score last year was -2, and I'm also on the calcium vit D tablet.  I wish I could improve my situation with exercise and diet, but so far that hasn't produced any results, hence the medication.  I have a DEXA scan every 2 years (expensive, yes) just to make sure I'm not getting worse.  I hope you will do alright with whatever medication you go on.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply, Stefania.  Your post has definitely made me think about this diagnosis a bit more seriously.  Your poor mum.  I hope that things improve for her.   Thanks for telling me about your medication.  I want to be as informed as possible before seeing the doctor about the results.  Best wishes.
    • Posted

Gosh you are taking these medications without having osteoporosis. In Australia I am pretty sure no one would be given them with that t score. Careful with prolia if you need extractions because of the danger to your jaw. I am still hesitant with -3,4 which is quite high. I have been advised against prolia and considering fosamax. Side effects are scary! I am wondering if anyone has chosen vitamin k2 with vitamin d and calcium and other vitamins plus exercise rather than the drugs? So hard to decide!
  • Posted

An update on this.  After seeing my GP with the results of my DXA scan, it wasn't felt that I needed any medication.  So, I'm taking my Vitamin D supplement daily and am also trying to do as much walking as I can.  The consultant recommended that I have another scan in 2-3 years.
  • Posted

I have OP in the spine and osteopenia in the hip. I felt that I needed expert advice re nutrition/supplement regime and started seeing a very good nutritionist six months ago and also signed on to an online discussion forum for OP via the NOF (National Osteoporosis Forum)There are health care professionals posting on this forum as well as people looking for advice and sharing their experiences. I feel much better informed. The essential nutrients are calcium plus a synergistic combination of magnesium, Vit D3 and Vit K2 to help absorb calcium and direct it to where it's meant to go - the bones not to other areas where it could potentially cause calcification problems. The current advice is to try to get most of your calcium through food, supplementing if necessary and NOT with the carbonate variety.
  • Posted

Ps to my post. NOF stands for National Osteoporosis Foundation - not 'Forum'. A

Also check out Dr Lani Simpson u tube videos and these books: Vitamin K2 and the Calcium Paradox by Kate Rheume -Bleue ; the Whole Body Approach to Osteoporosis by Keith McCormick and Your Bones by Lark Pizzorno

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.