Mertazapine v sertraline

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

I am 4 days on 15mg of mertazapine and 4 weeks in 50mg of sertraline. I added mertazapine because I couldn't sleep and was still struggling on sertraline

I had immediate good impact with mertazapine and slept well for 2 nights. Plus was almost normal person in day. The downside is I feel groggy and have to force myself out of bed in the morning

But Also last 2 nights I can't get to sleep unless I add 3mg of zopi(sleep pill) to knock me out

Because of the weight gain I am keen to stay away from mertazapine if I can. ( but weight is better than crying in a ball all day )

Looking if anyone has experienced the 2 drugs and moving from mertazapine to sertraline. As I am scared to stop either and scared to continue both!!!!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi there - I switched from Mirt to Sertraline because I was gaining weight hand over fist, I thought the Mirt might be helping my depression a little until I switched to Sertraline, it was only then that I found it it really hadn't been helping much at all (except helping me to sleep).   I was so much better on Sertraline that everyone starting commenting, it was that noticeable.   I did a straight switch from Mirt onto 50 mg Sertraline, I was upped to 100 mg Sertraline at Christmas as I w as really struggling, sadly at the higher dose it didn't work so well, the insomnia was just too difficult to handle, so I have changed to Venlafaxine which seems to be working and helping me sleep . . . if I could have slept on Sertraline I would have stuck with it - I do hope it works for you - hang in there and post on here whenever you need support. xxx

• Posted

Hi. Thanks for the replies and info. I am at the moment going to try to drop the zopiclone and Mertazapine

My head at the moment feels in a reasonable place but will see what happens. I will look up venlafaxine !

On the weight gain my psychiatrist said the mertazapine hits you both with appetite and triggers or blocks some thing that makes you body want to store more fat. He said you can eat the same calories but put on weight where before you didn't. Sounds vain and I do value my head being right first but is enough for me to try to drop the mertazapine for a bit.

thanks again. So many people out there suffering so badly....but also so many people wanting to help with honesty and support. Good luck to us all :-/

• Posted

i adpanicker, i am on sert 150 mgs and mitazapine 15 mgs,as prescribed by Psychiatrist, the lower dose of mitazapine is a good sleeper(7.5-15 mgs) while higher is more stimulating as it works on noradrenaline.I have only been on mirtazapine for 2 nights and have noticed an increased appetite which is good because i lost appetite on sertraline but if you are sensible and dont have loads of chocolate to hand you should be fine.like you slept well the first night but felt really groggy in the morning, the second night i took 50 mg of my 150 mgs in the evening and didnt sleep so well on the second night.Sert and mirtazapine are supposed to work well together.If you are on really really high doses you may get some interaction because of increased serotonin being released .I would try not to take zopiclone if you can, if you take it longterm( i took it for 3 months) you can get side effects so maybe stick with the mirtazapine at nighttimet along with sleep hygiene ie bath relaxing music,no screen time- there isa a load of stuff on the web if you google sleep hygiene. Stick with it as it is supposed to be a good sleeper, it is so easy to get anxious about sleep and that will keep you awake! all the anecdotal reports i have read about mirtazapine  for insomniahave been positive and i wish yourself and myself(as well as everybody on the forum) the best of luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.