Metformin - how long does the nausea last?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have recently been diagnosed with PCOS whilst undergoing fertility tests as my husband and I have been trying for a baby for almost 3 years now. I have been prescribed Metformin which seems to be regulating my periods, which is great, but I have been getting extreme nausea for the last week since I increased to the full dosage of 1500mg a day. Has anyone else had any experience of this and if so does the nausea eventually settle down? I don't want to stop taking it because I think it is working but the side effects are starting to have a real impact on my work and just general day to day life. Any advice would be hugely appreciated! Thanks 😃

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

the nausea will settle down the longer your taking it its common in the first couple of weeks it can upset the stomach

• Posted

thats why doctors start with smaller dose then increase the dosage it should settle

• Posted

Thank you. This is now my 4th week of taking it and like you said I started on a smaller dosage and have built up. I haven't had too many problems until the last increase. I will stick with it, but didn't know if there was anything else I can do to help it. Like certain foods to avoid or anything like that?

• Posted

the best way to avoid upset stomach is to take it with food if it is so bad that is effecting day to day life after a couple of months u may have to look into changing it for somthing else

• Posted

give the fact u have just increased your dose id say stick with it if its working for you and see how you are after a couple more weeks after uv been on the higher dose for a while

• Posted

Are you taking the slow release metformin?

• Posted

No not slow release. I have read that slow release can help with the side effects so I'm going to give it another week with this one and then maybe speak to my Dr about the possibility of going on the slow release.

• Posted

you could try nexium to help with the side effects. You can buy it over the counter or your doctor can prescribe it, the generic name is esomeprazole. It helps reduce acid.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.