Methotrexate

Posted , 6 users are following.

Help! 

My 10 year old daughter has recently started on methotrexate due to having juvenile idiopathic arthritis 

She takes 15mg split over 2 days to help minimise side effect. 

She had her 2nd dose this weekend but suffered from really bad headache and just seemed to drain all her energy 

Is this a side effect that her body will get used to over time? 

I’m scared that she will get more side effects 

Has anyone got any advice that could that help 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I just started taking methotrexate and I'm on 15mg once a week also but I take mine all at once! She had the exact same side effects as me as for them getting better over time I'm not sure

• Posted

I will just have to see over time how she reacts to it 

I hope it settles down for you.

• Posted

I've recently started on this drug @ 25mg/wk (but I'm guessing weight for weight your daughter is on a relatively higher dose than me).  Is this being administered as tablets?  I think I've read that injections (which is what I'm on) have potentially less side effects.  Also, has she been prescribed folic acid?  Again, I think this is recommended to deal with side effects.  I'm into my third week and fortunately at the moment not too much in the way of side effects (maybe a bit more tired the next day).  Hope things settle down and improve soon.

• Posted

She is on 15mg over 2 days, yes it’s the tablets she’s taking because she’s petrified of needles

She takes the folic acid day after her last dose. 

This weekend she wasn’t too bad with the side effects but her pain was through the roof, I’m hoping over time it will balance itself out and start calming down. 

She seems more tired like yourself for a couple of days after. 

Drinking more water over the 2 days helped last weekend too 

Thank you for your advice it’s much appreciated 

• Posted

I suggest drinking more water every day
    • Posted

She did this last week and it did help so I’ll make sure she’s well hydrated from now on

Thank you for your advice 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.