Methotrexate and the cold/flu season

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I’ve been on Methotrexate for 17 months tablets initially and 20mg injections since October 2016. I have psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis.

I had a viral infection which started mid December and my temperature was high (39.2 C) GP advised to stop my Methotrexate until it subsided. My temp returned to normal and I had missed 2 weeks of my medication. I started my injections again 2 weeks ago, I have been absolutely exhausted ever since and have now developed a cold. This has been my first experience of this since starting on Methotrexate 17 months ago, anyone else experienced this complete wipeout with a stop and restart of MTX?

Thanks Yvonne.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi, my comments are based on personal experience and information access I have. I have been on MTX tablets 15mg weekly plus Prednisolone (steroid) tablets 5mg daily  for the past 17 years and am doing well without any major problem for my Psoriatic Arthritis. I hence never had the need to go for injections replacing tablets so I am rid of any need for a prick or go to see a doctor for the same. Oral medication is generally the preferred route and is better tolerated. TheGP knows better whyyou were asked to stop MTX (which is generally a weekly dose) just because you had a viral infection. MTX is not known to make infections worse to the best of my knowledge. The fact that you feel exhausted may have less to do with the resumption of MTX and more to the fact that your body is recovering from a bout of viral infection. I hope you are taking regularly supplements of calcium, vit A, C and D on a regular basis. This is a must so long as you are on MTX therapy. Suggest you remove the words "wipe out" from your mind when faced with simple weakness after a flu or something. Regards. Kaypee

• Posted

Hi, further to my last message please remember to add (unless you have already done so) Folic acid 5mg at least twice a week -barring the day you are taking MTX. This is also a must. Kaypee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.