Methotrexate for Lymphocytic Colitis

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been diagnosed with LC which thus far only responds to steroid treatment. Having exhausted many alternatives (e.g. balsalazide, etc.) I am starting 2018 with the prospect of going on to methotrexate. Reading the advice relating to this drug is really daunting, if not down right scary. No alcohol, no sun, potential effects on lung function, ... Does anyone have any advice or comments on life style changes? I still work full time and worried that this drug regime is going to affect my ability to continue a 'normal' life.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Steve,

First of all, sorry to hear you're suffering.  

Secondly, methotrexate has different effects on different people, from what I can gather, so it's hard to say what effect it might have on you.  What dose are you likely to be on?

Thirdly, alcohol!  I was very concerned about this, liking my wine and my gin as I do, so I researched it.  Now don't quote me on this, and please do your own research, but the issue with meth and alcohol is that both are processed through the liver, and the two together can be a motherload.  I can't quote the research, but there is some there on the internet, and what I took from it was that possibly there might be a bit too much interaction between the two but without any definitive effect, and I think that was based on one study only quite some time ago.  Like I say, please don't quote me on this - do your own research.  For me it was enough to let me carry on drinking!  This was entirely my own decision, so don't let that influence you in any way.

Having said that:  I did find that I began to feel sick when drinking alcohol after a few glasses.  Maybe that was my liver telling me no.

Also:  I was on a very low dose - 5mg weekly.

For me, the side effects have been enough, after 6 months, for my consultant to take me off the meth.  Even at a low dose I had chronic joint pain and muscle pain, brain fog, swollen glands, burst blood vessels, and hair loss.  Guess I'm a bit of a woos.  But I know plenty of people cope on it much better.

Sorry, I've gone on a bit.  

Try it, because it did control my symptoms (not the same as yours) for a short while at a low dose.  And at a low dose everything else should be moderate.  Try it and see.  At the end of the day you have to weigh up symptom control with side effect and lifestyle.  It's a balance. x

• Posted

Thanks Clare, that's all very interesting. Although it sounds like you have used methotrexate to control a different condition your lifestyle comments seem to come from a similar direction (red wine, gin!!!). I have seen a spectrum of reaction to this from total abstinence to no change (of course no change will vary from person to person).

At the moment I am not sure what dose I will start on as this regime is in response to my inability to tolerate the azathioprine combined with allopurinol. Of course reacting to one drug only helps to raise concerns when starting something else (and I already know I tend to react to drugs - I can't even cope with a full dose of night nurse!). My plan is to pull together all my concerns and lay them out at my first visit to the clinic in a few weeks' time. Once again thanks for your contribution, stay well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.