Metoprolol or bisoprolol?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello I've recently had a trip to the emergency department again, which was not much fun and it took me 4 hours to come out of SVT. Also I feel like my heart rate is generally faster than it should be normally, not my resting heart rate, but I do seem to be at 100/ 120 quite often when going for a walk, or doing things where I feel it shouldn't be that high, but it could be fitbit making me over think things.. .Obvs when in SVT it's a lot higher than that 140 to 190. I don't know what others feel, but my fit bit often tells me I've done 10 hours of exercise, when I've not been. So am considering taking a low dose of beta blocker, also cause the last hospital trip felt a bit scarey. Have previously been prescribed bisoprolol to take when I need it, was given metoprolol at a and e (which didn't work so they gave me adenosine) but it was a low dose of metoprolol. Wondering if one has less side effects and /or works better to take daily (bisoprolo or metoprolol) ? Know its prob different for everyone but would be interested to hear ppls views. Thanks.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

I've had SVT my whole life and pretty much cycled through every medication when I was younger. I haven't been on daily medication in decades but currently can take Cardizem as needed. When I asked if I should/could take a daily medication for recurring episodes, I was advised not to take something daily and just rely on the "pill in my pocket" Cardizem (a calcium channel blocker), as it is relatively fast (about 30 minutes) acting.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.