Metoprolol tartrate for WPW

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was just prescribed metoprolol to help with my racing heart rate (resting is between 111-120). I’m just tired of feeling like I ran a marathon when trying to watch tv. Has anyone else been on this medication and what was your experience?  I’m so afraid to try new medicines as my anxiety is already high!  Any advice or experience would be much appreciated 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Would love some feedback from anyone on this medication. Thank you 
  • Edited

I was diagnosed with asymptomatic WPW in 2001.  I have become intermittently symptomatic since then, especially in winter.  My cardio prescribed me a 1/2 dose of 25mg of metoprolol succinate (Extended Release) twice daily.  I take 1/2 of a pill twice daily, once in morning and once in evening.  For the most part, unless I am very exhausted, I have no symptoms while taking it, and my resting HR is fairly normal.

I had a very exhausting week, and even with the medication, yesterday my resting heart rate was over 95, and I was having frequent PVCs, every fourth beat.  I by chance was in my GPs office for another issue and they were able to EKG it while I was symptomatic, lucky indeed, as it's been rare to catch it while it's happening.  I got a really good night's sleep last night, and everything is back to normal today. 

But anyway, my experience with metoprolol has been positive, and with few/no side effects.

• Posted

i started to have palpitations at night the er dr said i might have wpw put me on Metropolol tarte 25 mg 2 times a day this really lowered my heart rate seeing a cardiologist tuesday hope to find out more maybe the time released would be better for me i appreciate your sharing

• Posted

Hey Laura

I'm 32yo, starting have weird Sinus Arythmias about 7 months ago after being admitted to a hospital in SVT. My GP defeated to start Metoprolol 50mgs twice a day as needed. For me it works but I know it's working because my heart just seems to pound harder into my chest and cause chest tightness. We're on our way to a WPW diagnosis but I've Gotta feeling it's gona be a long road. I wake up in the middle of the night dropping in sweat, short of breath and vomiting. So, short story lol, it works for me at 50mg doses 2x a day but it wares off pretty quick and it gives me a weird feeling when I. Be mta Blocked but my Earth just beats harder against my chest M, but at 70bmo than 140. Hope this helps mate, I. Chasing this as fastback as I my mother recently passes away after an undiagnosed problem causing Sudden cardiac death at the Age of 55yo. I'm also a paramedic in Australia so feel free to keep this thread and ask stuff I mite know ??. Always happy to help

• Posted

Hey Laura

I'm 32yo, starting have weird Sinus Arythmias about 7 months ago after being admitted to a hospital in SVT. My GP defeated to start Metoprolol 50mgs twice a day as needed. For me it works but I know it's working because my heart just seems to pound harder into my chest and cause chest tightness. We're on our way to a WPW diagnosis but I've Gotta feeling it's gona be a long road. I wake up in the middle of the night dropping in sweat, short of breath and vomiting. So, short story lol, it works for me at 50mg doses 2x a day but it wares off pretty quick and it gives me a weird feeling when I am beta Blocked but my heart just beats harder against my chest wall, but at 70bmp than 140. Hope this helps mate, Im Chasing this as fastback as I can as my mother recently passed away after an undiagnosed problem causing Sudden cardiac death at the Age of 55yo. I'm also a paramedic in Australia so feel free to keep this thread and ask stuff I mite know ??. Always happy to help

• Posted

I didn't care for the way it made me feel, so my Cardiologist said I could just take it in the event of an episode. Luckily I haven't had a real episode since I cut back on alcohol and coffee, but I am curious to know if this metoprolol will actually stop an episode in it's tracks like that? I guess I must not be a serious case luckily, but I really didn't like that drug.

-AJ

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.