Metronidazole..long term side effects, anxiety and panic attack!

Posted , 27 users are following.

3 years ago I took metronidazole, 500mg three times per day, for three days only ( suppose to be a 7 days course)...bad adverse effects..dizziness..trembling..blurred vision..palpitations. I just ruined my life. I developt anxiety, panic attacks and agoraphobia (never have them before..and I'm 29).. 3 years since then and I still have no idea what else to do ...I visited over 20/30 doctors in two different countries, making a lot of analysis and everything came back normal..but the symptoms are still there

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Next
  • Posted

What symptoms are you having still??Im going through a similar situation it’s only jus been four days since I last took the metronidazole and I’m having issues as well 
  • Posted

You’re still having them??
    • Posted

Yes..same problems different days... I take propranolol for over 1 year now.. And this helps me with palpitations but... I still wait 😐😐 Did you feel better?

• Edited

I took a single dose of the Metronidazole gel two nights ago, and immediately felt "off." Next morning felt really "not right" but went to work anyway. All day I fought intense emotional swings, feeling constantly like I would burst into tears. Also, discharge was copious, where the day before it was almost cleared up (I'd been doing alternative treatments on my own with homeopathics and probiotics). I should mention that the doctor prescribed this without waiting for my culture test results, which turned out to be negative for both BV and yeast.

Had to leave work yesterday because I could not concentrate, could not keep my emotions in check, extremely irritable, short fuse, on the verge of sobbing, just an emotional wreck. The moment I came in the door, I burst into tears and could not stop crying. Fortunately my husband was working at home yesterday and took care of me. I slipped into a deep depression, lethargy, and malaise for the rest of the day and night, which is still lingering today. I have not taken any more doses after that first one; returned to my homeopathic remedies and probiotics and the discharge is once again gone.

Yesterday I felt like I was in the worst PMS in my entire life, and I am post-menopausal -- periods stopped three years ago. It also felt like my insides were falling out (not a physical sensation; hard to describe). Today I've felt like I'm fighting to stay afloat in quicksand; had to leave work early again and come home. I feel like I'm just slipping down a slope, struggling to stay upright.

Doctor said he'd never heard of this type of reaction (seriously? Depression is listed as a common side effect!) and had nothing to tell me other than that he could put me on an oral dose of the drug. HELL NO! I want NOTHING to do with Metronidazole ever again!

Today the doctor's office called to check on me and I reiterated my symptoms, updated for today. They said they'd put it in my chart as an "allergic reaction." BULL!! I haven't had any immune system reactions -- this is purely emotional devastation, with a few weird physical sensations but no hives, rash, swelling, etc.

I will be reporting this to the FDA.

• Posted

Hi Karen! Sorry to hear that! I have no idea what is going on but I' m nearly 100% that something is bad abt this medicine. Last month my gp tried to give me metronidazole gel for same BV ( again metronidazole!!!!) I completely refuse that asking for some substitut. And guess what?... the doctor became irritated and start to laugh saying that HE NEVER HEARD BEFORE THAT SOMEONE IS HAVING BAD REACTIONS WITH THIS ANTIBIOTIC P...Anyway.....finally he put me on " allergic reactions"( same you).... I don't know what to do but. i just hope to became the person I used to be 3 years agosad

• Posted

Alexandra, that's horrible! I feel so bad for you. I totally hear ya -- doctor copouts galore. More and more I refuse to set foot in a doctor's office. 

At least he said, from our discussion at my appt (before I started the drug), that it seemed I'd pretty much cleared up the BV with what I was doing. I was having great results from Jarrow Femdophilus twice a day, Dr. King's High Potency 9 (for Candida) twice a day, plus frequent doses of Natrum Muriaticum, Pulsatilla, and Borax (all homeopathics). 

I wish you all the best, Alexandra, in your recovery. <3

• Edited

I am having a difficult time finding a Dr that will listen to be about symptoms that occurred after taking metronidazole. I am having constant anxiety, panic attacks, depression and other psychological symptoms. Sense taking the medication I have completely stopped working, rarely leave my home. It’s affecting my marriage my relationship with my kids. Normal everyday activities are almost impossible to do anymore. I went to the ER twice and discussed my concerns with my dr but they are all pushing my concerns to the side and saying my symptoms wouldn’t be caused by an antibiotic. I feel hopeless I do not know who I can talk to or where I can go that will take my concerns seriously.

• Posted

Please read my response too. Did yours get better? I have felt horrendous on Metronidazole(Flagyl). I told them it was causing confusion, dizziness, delayed thinking, speech slurs, anxiety, lethargy but insomnia at night. etc. I never had these things before. The Doc will still not discontinue the med. Anyways, Hope your better now. Please let me know if it Improved. How can I also report to the FDA???

• Edited

Hi, I know this is an old discussion bit just wondering how your progress has been going. I've just finished a course of metronidazole and I had extreme anxiety and mood swings as well as stomach issues. I've finished 3 days ago and still am not getting any better which is terrifying. I feel like I have no quality of life anymore.

• Posted

Hi, Lolly! sorry for my late replay... how are you feeling? any better? Regarding me, I'm still fighting with this "sort of anxiety"... I have good moments and really heavy days but ... I'm still not sure if I can do something about it.

Regards, Alexandra

• Edited

so i just started this medication and my anxiety is high and i have been having panic attacks ever since it sucks because i was already dealing with this but had gotten much better but as soon as i started this medication it got worse and i have to stay on this until next thursday 
  • Edited

I took it for a week about 6-7 weeks ago. I was doing crazy things while realizing they were not correct, but did them anyway. At my job I tackled some record keeping stuff that I had been putting off for five years. I HAD to do it and worked nonstop on it until done, and was cross with anyone who got in my way. At home I was screaming for no reason and throwing things. I have never been this way before. On that bad night I felt that I couldn't sleep in my house, so I went to my car. I was unable to settle, so I left the car at midnight and ran all over the neighborhood, fighting weird urges such as entering a construction site and jumping off of a stone wall. I went home and cried and apologized to my husband, and finally went to bed. I stopped taking the drug and went to see my doctor. He said not to take the metronidazone anymore, which I had already done. I slowly got better after a few days. Then I slowly got worse. It was so slow that I didn't notice it was abnormal. For a while it felt like I was just in a funk or had PMS. Only when it reached a level that I could not function did I realize it was much more than a funk. I am scared of everything, such as paying bills, trying to use a coupon, going to work, going to the store, doing every step of my job. I know the fear is irrational, yet it changes nothing. My heart pounds and I get dizzy. I cry over everything. I have been taking small amounts of xanax at night because it helps the heart pounding go away so that I can fall asleep. I took half of a xanax pill yesterday because I needed to go to the store but was paralyzed with fear. 0.25 mg of xanax has been enough to take the edge off, but I have the fear of getting addicted to it. I had a scheduled appointment with my ob-gyn dr, so I brought this up. He dismissed it as perimenopause and prescribed a low dose of zoloft, which I have been taking for two days. I have an appointment with my PCP in a half hour. I will ask for mirtazapine, because I read that it helped someone else. I hope it helps because I am not functioning anywhere near acceptable at work. It's embarrassing and I am ashamed, which just makes the anxiety worse and makes me feel even more paralyzed.

• Edited

hi! have you read about this drug toxicity causing vitamiN B 1 deficiency?

Got serious side effects from it as well (2 weeks of hell, headache, eye pain, brain fog, insomnia, crying spells). taking b1 vitamin and magnesium and hoping it gets better

• Edited

I have read about the vitamin B1 and will get some. The zoloft has helped me feel better, so I did not fill the mirtazapine prescription. I will see how this goes. I still have terrible anxiety and my heart races for hours at a time. I am slow to get things done but am not completely paralyzed like before. I also started seeing a therapist in hopes of getting help with coping skills to get through this.

I was already taking magnesium before bed long before this ever happened. I'll add the B1 as soon as I can get some.

Deep breaths through my nose and exhaling through my mouth slowly gives a few moments of relief from the anxiety and heart pounding feeling.

• Posted

have you found any thing to relief what your feeling i am having the same issues and no one will listen to me or help. Any advice would be appeeciated

• Edited

B1, Magnesium and please join the group

metronidazole toxicity support group.

also if you have thyroid problems this antibiotic causes overactivity . was on thr box. awful

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.