Microdiscectomy Recovery (Please help!)

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey,

I'm 22 years old male, 195 cm , 93 kg from Sweden. I injured myself really badly doing squat in gym and it showed to be a severe L4-L5 disc herniation which left me with no other option than surgery. I had no low back pain before surgery but a really bad sciatica pain which disappeared right after surgery and now it's been like 7 months and i wanna go back to gym. I know that i should contact a physical therapist but i live in a relatively small town in Sweden and I've already been in contact with 2 different physical therapists but i don't feel like i can trust them at all. I contacted my surgeon before visiting these physical therapists and he told me three things to keep in mind. 1) Not bending over and lifting off floor. 2) No sudden twist and rotation of lower back   3) No movement that compresses spine.

And guess what, both these physical therapist gave me sit-ups at the very start of the recovery, I am one of those persons who dig deep into everything so i started arguing with these therapists and they just told me that "this is the program we give to everyone after disc surgery". Sit-ups is so god damn hard on the back even for a normal person and you want me to do it after my back surgery? How can a program be used both for Anterior and Posterior cases? 

These therapist only had one major program for everybody which is a god damn joke to me. They had seen in my MRI that i have a Posterior herniation which means that exercises like sit-ups are like poison for me but anyway, i'm now in this really tough situation that i don't have anybody else to go to for help so me helping myself is the only option left.

I know that i should do a lot of core/back exercises, specially for strength and stabilization. I've already tried to educate myself as much as i can about core/back exercises but i would really appreciate it if you could give me some tips about best exercises with someone with my conditions. 

I am kinda tall so it's like twice as important for me to have a rock solid core/back to keep that good posture so i just wanna focus on that for a while to build a strong structure so i can build upon that later on.

Please help me if you can as i have not much option left.

Thank you

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I can imagine this is frustrating. Here are some safe exercises I do.

Lie on your back on a map. Raise both knees to 90°. Keeping your knees at 90°, lower the right he'll to the floor then raise it back up. Then the same on the left. Do this slowly and keep the lower back pressed to the mat. Start with 20 repetitions, and build up from there.

Next like above but straighten the leg and lower the ankle near to the ground then back up to 90°. Again starts at 20 repetitions and build up.

These two should cause no trouble at all.

On your hands and knees, extend the left leg out behind you. Try to keep their hips flat rather than rotating. Hold a leg for three seconds then return. Same on the right. 10 repetitions times four sets.

Next again on hands and knees, as above, except now extend opposite arm and leg.

Extend the time extended to 10 seconds on inside.

Next variation, when the right knee is down, raise the right toe so you're balancing on the neck and hand only. This makes your core do more work to stabilise. Then same on the left.

Squats are fine with that weight. Lower your buttocks so your knees do not go forward beyond your toes vertically. I do 20 Repetitions and four sets. Tried to press your knees out slightly as this works your hip flexors.

Doing squats against the wall is also fine for me. Please no more than

• Posted

Oops

Knees no more than 90° and back pressed against the wall, especially the lower back. Hold the position for 20 seconds if you can then rest for 15 seconds that again. 10 to 15 repetitions.

Aside from these try swimming. Start With a short distance, maybe only 250 m. Swim crawl but try to limit rotation. Build up slowly and if you get any pain then rest for a couple of days. Swimming is good for the muscles but the rotation does put some strain on the disc at first. And it works some lower back muscles that may be very weak right now. So take it easy. You are not trying to break any records.

Overall, take it slowly. Do not do anything that hurts. Your body are you in the morning you once before you go to far so do listen smile You are not training you are healing. It might take you longer than you think to get better but it is more important that you avoid any further damage while your body takes its time to heal after the operation.

Good luck and I hope this helps

• Posted

Hello.

I had bilateral L3/4 foraminotomies carried out only last week so I cant advise for 7 months recovery. Ive done plenty of research into the surveys taken by consultants on patients experiences from 12 weeks to 10 years post op discectomy/lumbar surgery.

I acknowledge your way of doing things is to dig deep and there is no harm in that. Up until last year I was highly active working and playing sports. My injury as with most stems from poor core strength. Forget sit ups, weightlifting and high impact sports ( basketball, football etc) and do pilates for 3 months see how it feels, a lot of post op patients try it.

I see exercises mentioned allready, I would add this: hold lower abdomen muscles in for 10 seconds whilst breathing normally, relax and repeat 10 times, do this 4 times a day on your back with feet shoulder width apart and a pillow under your knees.

Hope it helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.