Midfoot fusion after lisfranc injury

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all

I had lisfranc injury 4 month ago and mistreated by cast.

now my dream suggest me for midfoot fusion of 1,2,3 metatarsals.

can anyone suggest me, what are the possible complications and procedures.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

First, is this the same dr who treated you with a cast? If so I suggest you go and get a second opinion before fusing those bones . once your metatarsals are fused they will not bend and it will affect the way you walk. Your metatarsals are not part of your midfoot!

• Posted

Hi Janasuth

thanks for reply, Dr who treated me is orthopaedic surgeon while different ( more than two) foot and ankle orthopedic surgeons told me that " you are wrongly treated" and clarify about lisfranc injury and best treated with ORIF at the same time of injury.

Now I have pain in my first two toes and foot surgeon told me "it is midfoot arthiritis, first second and may third tarsometatarsal joints are damaged and solution is only FUSION of first and second ( possibly third also)"

waiting for your reply

• Posted

have you tried something less severe than fusion first? I had my screws removed and within several months I developed a lot of pain in the tiny joint infront of thr bone that had the screws in it. I did a cortisone injection in the tiny joint and had instant pain relief. have you tried this or been offered/suggested? my question to you is how much is this affecting your quality of life? My ortho is in Baltimore if you happen to live anywhere close. I met a lady in the waiting room say she drive from Ocean City to see him and would drive from NY if she had to. She drove about 4 hours to see him. Union Memorial is known for their orthopedics--one of the best in the country. Ask your dr if he would be willing to try cortisone injections before doing something this major. if he says no or insists it wont help then you need to find another doctor who is open minded and listens to his patients, gives the options and then lets you decide. We knew a year ago that it might come down to fusion but that was the very last resort. Orthotics can help sometimes. I just dont want you to jump into fusion if there are other things you can try before surgery. Find another dr if yours isnt open to other ideas and insists on surgery. I would definitely try cortisone injections before anything else. This isn't a simple surgery. Your dr has to scrape away and clean all the joints and then use some type of filler for the area between the bones to fuse to. Many dr like to use your own bone since it ultimately is the best thing. That requires another incision typically right under your knee or from of your pelvic. That could cause a secondary complication. My ortho used Trinity. He didnt want to have to deal with any possible secondary issues by using my own bone for the graft. Keep me posted and I'll answer any questions possible

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.