Mild pain 1 year after appendectomy. Is this normal?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Exactly a year ago this week I had laroscopic appendectomy. I had bouts of appendicitis for around 1 year prior to my surgery which was misdiagnosed multiple times. It was perforated when it was removed.

A week later I was out of hospital and was mobile.

For the last few months i've been experiencing mild (in comparison to appendicitis pain) pain in that region. This can occur when I eat certain spicy foods or when i'm tensing my abdominals. Otherwise, it can occur just when resting.

My question is: is this normal or should I see a doctor to have a scan and check everything is ok?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Edited

Hi peter

I'm 3 years post a horrendous appendicitis/septicaemia I was in hospital for 3 months. I did have a VAC pump in mine as the infection was so bad they told me I would die if I was stitched. My bowl has never been the same. I've had CT's/MRI/Endoscopy's. I have bouts of chronic IBS - spicy food is a trigger, I get terrible tummy pain sometimes after eating, and I get cramp in my scar (like a leg cramp) I have a big scar as I was 6 months pregnant at the time. 

All the things you describe so many people have described with a perforated/gangrenous appendicitis.

I have done food exclusions, am on vitamins and minerals I'm not out of my 20's yet and it has crippled me. I am getting better but just accept the fact I have scar tissue it cramps anytime, just like you, sometimes it wakes me from sleep going into cramp. I was told I'm looking at 4yrs healing time but feel this is going to be a lot

longer.

Always check with your GP but all my results were normal I do have some slight intestinal damage from the septicaemia and scarring does not help. Lay off the spicy food, do some very gentle stretches (cat stretches help me) I've been through lots of testing and I think it's just healing time (don't underestimate what your body has gone through it takes time. They will not do abdominal surgery on me as I had many complications to many to list here just unfortunate and  any to let it heal so will not remove scar tissue I just have to be careful.

I really hope you feel better soon.

Sorry if I haven't sugggested much soemtimes it's just nice to know you are not alone smile

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.

This has given me some comfort. I too had a tube for a week aftwards. It seems like something I'll have to put up with.

I may take a trip to the GP. It really doesn't cause me much bother as it is very mild but I was just anxious because of my horrific past experiences with an appendix!

• Posted

I am from the U.S.  and have had the same issues after my appendix rupture with sepsis and peritonitis.  That created a hernia within a couple of months.  After 2 hernia surgeries, one with a large mesh the doctors said I had Post Infectious IBS.  Nothing helped.  FODMAP diet or probiotics didn't change anything.  I just got worse and worse until I went to the ER with a partial intestinal obstruction.  After 3 days I left the hospital but never fully recovered.  That was on July 22nd.  On Sept 1, I am scheduled for surgery to remove my adhesions that are tying my small intestines into loops.  

I see no discussion groups or info from the UK on surgery to remove adhesions from intestines.  It is a big thing in this country.  My Colorectal Surgeon says this will fix my chronic pain.  

I hope this helps and perhaps your doctors know about this surgery.

• Edited

Hi Judith

I'm sorry to read about all your health problems and pain! It's sounds very similar to me. I was hospitalised for what they thought was a partial obstruction but they will not operate on my adhesions. I had a massive tummy spasm yesterday at scar site, while in a restaurant, it's so embarrassing but more than anything I'm so fed up! It's been 3 years of this s**t.

My tummy is sore today because of yesterday ??😭 Please let me know how your surgery goes. I hope it helps you live a more fulfilled life - it's debilitating isn't it! I wish it never happened.

Xx

• Posted

It is very debilitating, indeed.  Everyday I think I will have another obstruction. I have pains throughout the abdominal area. Working out has become impossible. I hope I can wait until Sept 1 for surgery. I had to retire.  Doc says this surgery will fix it. If he can do it laparoscopically I won't get more adhesions. He is not sure he can do it that way however. 

I will let you know how it goes. 

• Posted

I know, it's not just the physical but the mental anxiety and PTSD that go with it.

I do lots of walking that's the only form of exercise that doesn't set it off, it's so frustrating it's like a domino effect.

I can't retire only 29 and two young kids. I really hope it works out for you and they can do it - let me know!

Xx

• Posted

I don't know why your country is not up on this surgery to remove the adhesions.  If you keep having intestinal obstructions like have, you need this surgery.  On my CT Scan, you can see what looks like white bubbles or a cluster of circles.  This is my intestines tied up in loops.  It is easy to see and quite appearant.  

I went to a psychologist for my PTDS.  That helped a lot.  The problem is that the adhesions may come back again in the future.  They still have to be removed.  You do know that this can eventually be life threatening.  Since you are in your child bearing years, this may also make you infertile.  

Faye, you need to make your self heard by your doctor.  Do an internet search on adhesion surgery.

• Posted

I know 😓 I have read all about it and the Drs reasoning is that adhesions come back, so I just have to get on and live with it. 

I'm so tired.

I think after all the complications I have had, that's where some of the anxiety stems from, I know how serious it is and sometimes I can't help but think will it be today that it happens? What will happen to my children.

It's always there in the back of mind and even more prominent if I have an episode. I think I have just resigned myself to it and it can't get any better than what it is. I've had a lot of counselling but physically when it happens it makes it all flood back.

I hope it gets better for you. Wishing you lots of luck 

Xx

• Posted

It having surgery benefits them not you. My doc says that if he can do this laparoscopically I won't get future adhesions.  There is a lot done now to prevent adhesions. Wearing gloves that aren't latex and no powder on them helps.  

I am aware that I may need to have this surgery again in the future, but this surgery will give me some years of normalcy in the least. 

There is no mention that this surgery exists on this web site. That is the problem with a single payer health care system. 

• Posted

Yeah I found I was not able to digest some foods like chocolate as easily I'd end up with diahorrea it's not so bad now I think the appendix is vital to digesting certain foods I found that my digestion is worse after removal. Yes I get the cramp in the incision too, I don't get it all that often nowadays. I put it down that I'm too fat. I too had the larger of the 2 incision size as there wasn't much left of mine in there so was a clean out job.

• Posted

Hi Peter

Try some IBS remedies, and some peppermint pills and peppermint tea.

You could also try some acidophilus tablets ( 3 billion & above) as well as some amino acids. When I had tests done I'd had so many antibiotics for so many months with appendix it had knocked all the good bacteria out of my gut so definitely worth a try.

Hospital said gluten free for a year, and a low fibre diet they gave me a really good nutritionalist. I did initially go on pain meds in the beginning just until it all settled down but stopped them once I'd had the VAC pump taken out which like I say was about 3 months I've really tried to control it with diet and exercise but there is only so much you can do. Once you've had it, it's there!

• Posted

Hi Peter, did you get this resolved? i am going through the same issue at the moment, just one month after laparoscopy.

• Posted

I have the same issue, how did you resolve yours?

• Posted

Hi

I had my appendix removed about 40 years ago!! Recently in hospital with pain on the right and fever!

Had a CT scan which showed much inflammation and i was diagnosed with stump appendix! Stayed in hospital for 6 days on a drip antibiotics and strong pain killers. Sent home still have some discomfort! Another CT still inflammed more antibiotics! HELP!!

• Posted

Had mine out 18 years ago and have had right abdominal pain at various times since. Was recently diagnosed with IBS due to left and right abdominal pain and scan showed that my appendix was not completely removed. The doctors at the hospital informed me of issue, same hospital where it was removed.

Have done some research and found that stump appendicitis can require a second appendectomy to remove the stump which can itself become inflamed

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.