Mild symptoms ... could it really be herpes?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and I was just recently diagnosed with this thing and I'm still trying to come to terms with it. I guess you can say I'm still in the denial phase. I'm not upset or angry, it's my fault for making stupid decisions.

But the reason I'm in denial is because after reading a gazillion posts and blogs from people with this infection for countless hours, my symptoms vary quite a bit from everyone. I understand everybody is different and our bodies react differently to infections, but I don't get any of the flu-like symptoms or pain.

The way I found out about this was after a recent sex encounter (with a condom), I for some crazy reason decided to take a peek at my vagina and I noticed what appeared to me as tears on the bottom of the entry point into my vagina. I've seen them before and they've appeared after having sex with someone, but they're not painful and they look nothing like blisters. After googling this disease, I realize they look like vaginal fissures (skin tears in the vagina). But the doctor swears it is herpes, but they're not blisters and they look absolutely nothing like the images from online. Plus I don't have any pain or symptoms. Could this still be herpes? Thanks everyone.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Oh and these tears usually disappear within a few days.  Thanks again everyone!
  • Posted

A blood test will answer your question. I was diagnosed 4 weeks ago and I have never had a break out or any symptoms at all, trust  my I'm in denial as well. 

I'm  thinking of getting another blood test done somewhere else ... But I have come to terms with it so either way I'll be ok.

• Posted

Hi Kate,

I had something similar and I waited until I had the symtoms and got it swabbed at the nurses clinic at my doctors - it came back negative - in fact - when I was first diagnosed with herpes i was a bit paranoid and if I had an odd sore around my vagine a got it wabbed because I was unsure if I was having a breakout or not - they all came back negative.  There is a specific swab they used to detect the herpes virus - I sugget you go back to your doctors and see a different doctor or can you see a nurse as I did? 

I do have the herpes virus but I do not have the flu-like sysptoms or pain that I have read about.  I usually just get an itchy/tingly feeling.  If I act quickly enough and get a couple of early nights I can avoid an outbreak.

I hope this helps

• Posted

Yes, I did get it swabbed and the doctor said I have the antibodies for herpes which is why I'm sure she's correct in the diagnosis but when I can't relate to everyone's symptoms I begin to feel maybe I don't have it afterall.  I was thinking about getting a blood test, but I read the swab test is more accurate than the blood test, is this true? It couldn't hurt to go in and ask for a blood test for confirmation. 

If these are in fact my type of outbreaks, why do they occur after sex? This has happened twice just recently.  The first time I blew it off thinking it was just a tear like I've had before then I noticed it again and decided to get it looked at..then came the dreaded news. If these continue to occur after sex, I'm gonna have to ask for the daily pill because it's becoming a nuisance and telling my partner to hold off for about 4 days each time it happens is frustrating. Anyone else experience this?

• Posted

Hey Kat, sorry if this is a bit late of a reply.

Ive had genital hsv1 for two years now and recently ive been getting the 'tears' as you described. They feel different to the herpe outbreaks and I havent got them before. I thought maybe theyre small lesions or something, like kind of an outbreak? but it usually only happens when I have a lot of, or rough sex, or when I use a cheap brand of pads and get something like chaffing. 

So im no expert but from experience it doesnt sound like herpes?

yeah get it checked again.

• Posted

It is very possible. I recently was diagnosed with HsV2 and I had no clue. I had a small rash no sores that I was told was chronic acne but ended up finding out otherwise 2 years later. I had no symptoms at all. Never felt sick or anything.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.