Minimal Change disease..

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi..

My sister is suffering from minimal change disease..i.e., loss of protiene in urine.. Consulted nephrologist and he prescribed steroids and need to use the medicine for 6 weeks.. but while using this she is experiencing severe body pains, little edema (water retension) at foot. Can anyone suggest me that is MCD is curable and the above are the common for every patient who takes steroids.

Thanks in advance..

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi there I am sorry your sister is suffering at e moment, I know her doctor Will no doubt do further checks, but do make sure that she gets tested for Glomerulonephritis, also known as FSGS. Protein leakage is a key indicator. I took high steroids for several months, and am on lower dose now but don't get pain as your sister seems to be, i think you should have that looked at as it may be the kind of steroid is not suiting her..they did affect me in other ways, very changeable in mood, highly strung...I was a joy to be around!! That was when dose was very high, lot better presently.

i wish you both well, and hope she recovers quickly . 

Sarah😃

• Posted

thank u sir.. she has undergone a biopsy...there only they confirmed it as minimal change disease... and said curable with medication...and observed decreased proten in urine...but she is suffering from edema..
  • Posted

I don't know how old you post is.

Buthe steroids do have lots of side effects and sometimes other drugs are required.

MCD is curable but often relapses.

Not as severe though.

• Posted

Sorry for your sister. I was diagnosed with this at 3 years old. Had to take large doses of steroids for several years until I was moved onto sychlofosfamids which were a brand new drug and being pioneered by Dr. White at Birmingham Childrens Hospital in 1967 - 8. Signed off as such in 1977. No problems until 2006 and then relapsed big time. After 15 weeks clear until now 10 years on and relapsed twice so far May 2016 and October 2016. Still having treatment at present. You get tired but keep to a sensible diet and dont let it make you depressed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.