Mirena coil after laparoscopy and migraines...Help!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi Ladies

I had my second laparoscopy at the end of July. Apart from a small perforation to my womb when they were inserting the mirena coil everything was a success. They removed endometriosis adhesions and deposits behind my womb and drained another endometriotic cyst from my right ovary.

My surgeon recommended the mirena coil as the best way to keep the endometriosis at bay and therefore avoid further possible laparoscopies. I was given the leaflet with all the information after insertion instead of before. I told them I suffer with very bad migraines and I'm on medication for depression. A week after the op I had a migraine with vomitting (this usually happens when I get one) for 48 hours - the longest time I've been vomitting with a migraine and one of the worst ones I've had. My medication didn't work and I was absolutely besided myself. I think it was worse than the operation itself.

Has anyone else had problems like this? I am also getting a lot of hot flushes which could be a residual side effect from the gonapeptyl injections I was on for 6 months before the op. Does anyone have any advice or experience with the mirena coil? I am single at the moment but have heard the coil can be painful during sex for you and for your partner..... I've only had it in for 10 days but I'm starting to panic. I just want to be well again.

Any help would be so gratefully received...

Thanks, Nic x

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Not that I had more natural but I had injection of slow release pellet to stop hormones to stop growth of endo as I was set against coil although both has same effect of blocking estrogen. This gave me the worst migraine of my life of nearly 3 days of sobbing as I didn't know what to do with myself. I was told it was the hormonal changes and that it would settle but on exam a month later showing more growth even with the hormone blocker. I opted for surgery to remove ovaries as didn't want another injection. It sounds drastic bit 8 weeks on and so far best thing I ever did. Fingers crossed no more pain!!! Hopefully you will find that as hormones level your symptoms will ease and you will forget it is there.
    • Posted

Sorry phone converted mirena to more natural !!
    • Posted

Thanks - if the hormonal changes settle I can probably cope but not if it's a regualr thing. Wow we have to go through a lot with this don't we?! It sounds like you're pain free after your surgery now which is great. Long may it continue x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.