Mirena coil bleeding every 2 weeks

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been having trouble with my mirena - I keep bleeding every 2 weeks and it's pretty heavy. It also lasts 10-12 days and it's really frustrating!!

I went to the doctors about it and they diagnosed me with a pelvic inflammatory disease so I'm halfway through taking my antibiotics. Could this be causing it to make me bleed so much?! The pain I get wont go away no matter what I do so I don't want it in anymore sad

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi naomilouise.... did you ask your doc if the bleeding and pain was due to the pelvic inflammatory disease? If it is that, maybe it will settle down once you've got thru it x

I think I'm one of the rare people who have had nothing what so ever, no bleeding, ever, and no pain. .. so I suppose I've been lucky.... many people say they have bleeding and pain for a few months after they have it fitted, each body reacts differently. Some bodies just take time to adjust. If you didn't ask your doc then I would suggest going back and finding out xxx

• Posted

They didn't say much at the time but will definitely ask when I have to go back next week. I also have to go for an ultrasound today just to check its in the right place!

I'm hoping it'll settle down again as I decided to get it in January this year after trying different pills and having rubbish side effects from those. The main thing I get is really painful cramps which I haven't had for years sad

• Posted

That's the reason I had it fitted, really heavy periods and cramps so bad I literally couldn't move for the first 2 days. Best thing I ever did, I've had mine for and half years, due to be changed in January.

I agree side effects from others were awful, I've had none from this.

The only thing I'd suggest is when you go for your scan, I had to go for one but for bowel problems, I had an internal front scan, if you have to have that one, just mention it. .. I'm always wary of they push to hard they may dislodge it xx hope all goes well xx

• Posted

I don't know what kind I'm having, just know it's an ultrasound to mainly check its in the right place and there isn't anything else which could be causing the problems.. I hope it gets resolved as I'm not too keen on any other options rolleyes
    • Posted

I'm sure all will be absolutely fine, some people's bodies just take longer to adjust than others... positive thinking! :-)

You will come back and let me know how you got on??

I'm always here if you need a chat! :-)

• Posted

It was an internal one. The nurse said that everything is normal except the coil is sitting a bit lower than normal which could be causing problems. She said with the copper ones this used to reduce the effectiveness as you could get pregnant above it. But now as its hormonal it's less likely to happen.

I have to wait to speak to my doctor next week and go from there. She also said its unusual for the bleeding to get heavier rather than less rolleyes

• Posted

Morning! Okay, well at least you know it's not in the wrong place! Maybe just needs a 'bit of a jiggle' I'm sure they can just move it slightly.

They may remove it and put a new one in you never know, and then all well be hunky dory!

I hope you will come back and let me know what your doc says.. I'm sure there's nothing to worry about.

Big hugs x

• Posted

I'm seriously considering having it out even if they decide it's ok! It's a good form a contraception because me and my boyfriend can never do anything. Not to mention that when I'm on I end up crying over the smallest things which I'm sure he gets fed up with sad
    • Posted

Aawwww..... you have my sympathy, totally! It's not for some women, just be aware that doc will probably say to keep it a bit longer, , they usual do. . But if you absolutely want it taking out, then just stand your ground and refuse to leave until he/she does it's your body and your right to say what goes on with it... have you tried the implant or the injection? ? I've not, so I can't comment on what they're like, the only thing I've heard about them is the weight gain that goes with them. ..

I hope everything goes good with you... us women have to go thru so much dont we lol!

Keep me posted! You where I am if you need a chat. . Not sure how you go 'private' on here? ? I'd send my email but I know it won't post the comment, tried it before!

• Posted

Hi

I've seen how majorly supportive you are & I was hoping to cash in on some of your experience.

Back ground internenstrual bleeds & I'm 50 ...recently had hysteroscopy & endometrial biopsy. Diagnosis: endometrial hyperplasia - at simple stage, so no cancerous signs - thank God. Awful anxiety & feat in mix.My treatment is Mirena fitting this Friday

I just wondered if you had a similar story?

Thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.