Misphonia in fibro

Posted , 8 users are following.

Have you noticed the slightest sound drives you mad,like tapping fingers, dogsbarking loud music, talking clapping shouting. television. Ive noticed just recently that different sounds are driving me mad especially loud music and the television. Misphonia is a neurological condition in which sounds, especially bodely sounds can cause anxiety panic attacks anger sometimes rage.Have any of you had any experience of this. xx

3 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Background sounds on console games never used to bother me at all. Now I have to turn the sound off. I also hate the sound of the kitchen tap dripping it's amazing how I can hear it dripping all the way from the living room but it's very annoying. The sound of tapping keyboard on laptop gets to me too. Another sound that has recently become annoying is the slight buzzing you get from fluorescent lights
    • Posted

I have a buzzing on my tele at the min its driving me nuts, our kitchen tap is drip drip drip husband hopefuly mending that this week our clock ticks so loudly Ive taken the battery out just useing the clock in the kitchen that makes no sound. things that never bothered me now aresad
  • Posted

I get this a lot but I also have synthesesia. It means sounds words textures etc have other senses attached to them. It sounds weird but I have found it has become intense, especially noise.
    • Posted

Different noises are driving me mad loud music tele ticking clock tapping foot even typeing on the key board really irritates me. I really hate this symptom its driving me nuts wish it would go away. take care hun
  • Posted

I have had this for years but didnt know what it was until last year. I have to get off buses if any one is eating noisily as i get a great urge to punch them it irritates me that much. i cant sleep in the same room as anyone else as their breathing, snoring, moving in bed gets me so wound up, its played havoc with my relationships as i often got out of bed and slept on the sofa, or once when my partner and me went to butlins for the week we only had the one room and bathroom so i slept in the bath all week... i also cant stand movement like someone tapping their feet etc...
    • Posted

you have my sympathy with the story my husband drives me to distraction with his snoring. we take it in turns where we sleep 1 of us as the bed 1 night the other the sofa. The snoring just oooh irritates me loud tele music tapping fingers and feet dripping tap clock ticking. I hate this symptom its driving me mad. Im like you didnt know or understand what was going on until got diagnoses last march, after 10 years of trying to find out what the hell was wrong with me. horrid condition to have. take care
  • Posted

Yes definitely! I can't bear the TV too loud, I find a neighbours dog's barking extremely irritating. Going through a car wash recently I had to put my hands over my ears. I know there are more examples but can't think of them right now. I must say though, with all of them I don't become enraged at all, it's more a case of 'I just can't bear it'. x
    • Posted

loud tele music really irritate me and the dripping tap in our kitchen, Ive never felt enraged but do get very irritated to the point where I could scream. dont like this fibro symptom one bit. x take care gentle hug
  • Posted

I know exactly what you mean Kaz. My partner is banned from having his electric alarm clock on as the quiet almost inaudible buzz drives me crazy and stops me sleeping. The droning noise from flourescent lights is unbearable and if a radio station is slightly off signal, it is torture. The occassional running noises of my laptop catching up are driving me crazy as i type. 

• Posted

morning jemini we have a clock in our living room the noise it makes irritates me to death. so Ive taken the battery out just cant stand the noise at the min and the dripping tap in the kitchen even when Im typeing the sound of the keys irritates me. the not so joy of fibro symptoms take care gentle hug
  • Posted

Something else I have noticed aside from the annoying noises....I have noticed certain smells seem really strong and annoy me also. Some make me feel sick, some make me feel dizzy and some bother me. Is this usual too?
    • Posted

I have had this too, body sprays perfume, room sprays, its mostly anything scented with me but I felt sick when my husband cooks fish also my dogs food makes me heave. I dont know if I would say its usual because fibro affects us all differently, but I personally have experienced. take care 
  • Posted

I've had this for years without even knowing there was a name for it! It's mostly bodily noises like sniffing, excessive swallowing, throat clearing, snoring, they drive me nuts! I also suffer from depression and I have noticed a decrease in it since I stared taking antidepressants. It takes more for it to annoy me and I don't hear it as loudly as I did. Sadly sniffing is a habit that runs in my partner's family! My partner sniffs a lot less now because of me, although if he has the sniffles and I'm having a bad day it can cause arguments. I do wear ear plugs sometimes to help drown out other little noises that bug me. Nothing is more annoying though than someone playing loud base music, that I have to get away from becuase I would probably end up hurting myself. When we had noisy neighbours it was hell for me. This also bugged my partner and we'd often end up sleeping on his mum's livingroom floor. Apparently white noise helps, if I can have a fan running at night, I don't need to wear ear plugs (unless there's base music playing.) You may find that helpful or I think you can download white noise apps or buy machines x

• Posted

I’m glad someone has a form for this. I already have some anxiety and ocd, yet the last couple years the sound of my parents eating their food drives me mad. I’m not talking eye rolling teenager mad, I’m talking crying and running away mad. I get very aggressive and the only thing that makes it better is telling them to shut up and being very rude. They get very upset with me but they don’t understand how I can’t control it. They are notoriously loud eaters to begin with but don’t do anything to eat less loudly, in fact I think they do it on purpose now because they think it’s going to make us get over it but it’s not.  The same thing happens to my little sister but they just tell us to shut up. There is no known cure it seems but it’s driving me insane. Other noises don’t bother me unless I’m super sick or upset; it’s generally just body noises mostly eating liquids foods.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.