More than likely have PCOS, any advice please??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, new to this.. I have just recently went the to doctors about my periods.. i had previously googled symptoms and reasons and PCOS did come up and i do have most of the symptoms.. im 21, and since about 16 ive not have a regular period but i never thought anything of it (stupidly) until i told my mum and she said to check it out.. i have my blood results coming back on wednesday then awaiting an ultrasound scan.. i do have anxiety and depression and i dont know if having pcos is a cause of this.. ive not spoke to anyone with pcos so if anyone can give me some advice or anything like that it would be apprieciated.. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I’m 22 and starting having symptoms about two years ago. My symptoms were as follows in the order listed: weight gain, acne, hair loss on scalp, hair growth on chin and upperlip, etc. Those are the ones that bother me the most.

To me, it sounds like you are doing everything right. The blood tests and ultrasound are the two main ways to be diagnosed. With the blood tests, from what I understand the most important ones are your insulin, glucose, and testosterone levels. With the ultrasound, they will see 1. If your ovaries are swollen and 2. How many follicles you have in each ovary. Healthy ovaries have around 12 follicles each. I had 70 in one follicle and 50 in the other. That is classic PCOS. It’s where the name “cystic” comes from. It’s a misnomer, they aren’t actually cysts, but follicles that every woman has. The difference is that we (given that you do have pcos) have too many. 

Also, I have anxiety and depression as well. And I’ve read that it is actually a symptom of pcos not necessarily a cause (although I think they are related closely to each other). 

I know it all seems very overwhelming.  Since it’s a hormonal disorder, it affects so many areas of your body. It also is still not well understood, although research is getting better and better. But I suggest doing your own research as well as listening to your doctor, to figure out what type of treatments you want to do for yourself. Many woman go the route of western medicine, where they will prescribe you birth control pills, metformin or spirolactone, rogaine, etc. Many other woman have decided to go a more natural homepathic route with diet changes, weight loss (if you are overweight), supplements, exercise, stress management, etc. I have heard of BOTH ways successfully managing pcos. I am personally doing a combination of the two and am very hopeful smile 

I hope this helps and good luck!

• Posted

I was diagnosed with PCOS 15 years ago, when I was 25, but in retrospect I must have had it for much longer than that. 

I don't know what your doctors will tell you and how they plan to help you, but there are many thing you can do to help yourself: healthy diet and exercise. 

Even if your glucose and insulin levels are fine, you can benefit from eating low-carb and pleanty of green veegies and healthy protein and fats. Avoid processed and/or sugary foods. Avoid sugary fruit, eat all other fruit in moderation. Try eating ow GI foods (you can find lists on the internet). I'd avoid dairy products all together and if you eat meat try and eat organic.

One more thing about sugar. To your body, sugar is sugar, even if you chose "healthier, more natural options". Bare in mind that fructose unlike glucose is processed in the liver and when you eat too much of it can lead to fatty liver and contribute to insulin resistance and there's a strong link between it and the PCOS.  

Cardio exercises and yoga-like exercises are great but many agree that weight training gives great results for PCOS.

Hormonal imbalances can cause and/or promote existing depression and anxiety. PCOS sufferers are especially vulnerable and should seek help.

Women benefit immensely from weight-loss, that's true, but it doesn't mean that PCOS sufferers who do not have weight issues should eat what they want and when they want to. Try to organize your meals and prepare them well in advance. It's important not to eat in between to avoid sugar and insulin spikes.

I don't mean to scare you, but PCOS when left untreated can worsen with age. You're young and have time to deal with it.

Hang in there!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.