Morning anxiety

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I've been on escitalopram 5mg for nearly a month and I get anxiety from about 5am but when I take my tablet about 7.30 after breakfast it usually wears off within an hour. Is this normal or should I be waking without anxiety if tablets working properly? Does it eliminate morning anxiety completely or as long as it wears off its ok? Thanks ??

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Susan, 5mg is the lowest dose. Good you have started on this for a few weeks, but I think its high time you tried going upto 10mg for 4wks & see how you get on - see your doc about this asap. Don on this forum is going through the same thing-been on 10mg for 4wks, got used to it but not doing enought yet to tackle his depression/anxiety - so I suggested he go upto 15mg (in consult with his doc obviously). xxx

• Posted

Thankyou loo loo, yes I agree this is a low dose but just wondered if I could get by on it but the morning anxiety is a nuisance as it then puts me in a different frame of mind for the day! Wondered if anyone had been on 5mg and it's been enough? I've still got 5 tablets before it's a full pack of 28 which I suppose they count as a month!

• Posted

Unfortunately in some this drug can make anxiety worse. After many months and all doses I had to switch to another medication. My anxiousness is already gone and I am getting my life back slowly. This doesn't mean it won't work for you but if your get tired of the morning anxiety and nervous stomache just know that's it's probably the escotalopram.

• Posted

Hi, thanks for your reply, I used to be on citalopram before this and was all over the place with that and so far other than the morning anxiety I'm ok but I'm going to give it a bit longer I think! What med did you switch to?

• Posted

I used to be on citalopram too.

The new drug is Trintellix I think a different name in the US.Its too early for me to recommend this drug however so far I am anxiety free. After six months. I am still tapering off the escotalopram as well but so far so good.

• Posted

Thankyou, I'm going to see how I go as the odd thing is I get morning anxiety as I'm waking but once I open my eyes the dizzy feeling I get goes! Hopefully it will gradually wear off, you take care ??

• Posted

Hi Sue. I doubt anyone could get by maintaining their depression/anxiety on 5mg long term. Although you do feel effect of it to begin with it's just your body getting used to it. I take my dose in the morning - do you? (I just thought if you were taking yours at night, switching to morning might help you-most anxiety in life likely to happen in daytime waking hours so if you take it in morning you should be more "equipped" to deal with anxiety through the day, thus inducing better sleep). Do not be too against increasing the dose hun - the main thing is to get you on an even keel to you can get on with life relatively normally. Like many illnesses - if you have to control it with meds then so be it- life is too short to let illness whether its physical or mental get the better of you. I would reiterate my suggestion of talking to your doc about going upto 10mg for 4wks & see how you get on. The key to correct dosing is when you find a level that makes you feel more like your normal self, but you have to be patient & try each little increase in dose for at least 4-8wks to see if it keeps you "level". My best dose for a while now has been 15mg taken in morning. I do not feel sedated, just feel like me. Take care hun, always here to talk.xxx

• Posted

For some the anxiousness takes away the quality of life although better than depression. I agree that 15mgs was the best dose if you are too nervous thru the day and anxious in the morning than ignore the Just hang in there" and try another med. Life is too short.

• Posted

Hi loo loo, thanks for the lovely long reply, I do know someone who's on 5mg and she's managing on it but if I have to go up a dose I'm not going to worry about it! Like you say if you need help by tablet so be it! Other than a small amount of morning anxiety my days are very good so I'm going to see how things go! Baby steps and one day at a time! Thanks again, take care x

• Posted

Spot on Sue. I would be hesitant at giving up on escitalopram yet, like killdogroad suggested - like you say, baby steps - & any improvement is a step in the right direction. Unfortunately most anti depressants take time to make you better & that's after you've found the right dose for you personally! But the long term result is the aim. switching to other meds too early means you might not have given one a proper chance & you have to start all over again. (sorry killdogroad to disagree with you, only going on my own 25yrs of experience with anxiety & depression). xxx

• Posted

Hi loo loo, yes I'm not giving up at all, like you say you have to give it a chance and I don't know if it's my imagination but compared to citalopram the escitalopram feels as if it suits me better! My doctor reduced me from 20mg cit for a week to 10mg to prepare me to swap to 5mg escitalopram and the swap was no problem! I thought dropping to 10 I would feel worse but I didn't so just keeping everything crossed that I'm fine on escitalopram! Thanks for your advice x

• Posted

I do agree you need to give them at least 4 weeks at each dose before deciding.
    • Posted

Hi loo loo, sorry to bother you but I'm not having a good day today as my anxiety when I woke from about 5am was there when I've been feeling ok, had a lovely day with friends yesterday so no reason to trigger a bad day! My query is, is it normal to be up and down and when to up my dose, I'm so confused!

• Posted

Hi susan - you are not bothering me hun!! If you are feeling up & down, especially when nothing bad to trigger feeling this way, I really think your current dose is not enough for you. I think you really need to try going upto 10mg now (in the morning) as you've given the 5mg a long test of time haven't you? Perhaps see if you can get your doctor to ring you tomorrow to agree trying 10mg. Let me know how you get on hun. xxx

• Posted

p.s its upto you though (didn't mean to sound like i was telling you what to do!!) just what I would personally do, & what sounds like would be best for you. xx

• Posted

Don't be silly, that's why I asked your opinion ??

I've been thinking this myself anyway but just wanted another opinion! Doctor wanted to do a month and I'm on day 26 of 5mg so hopefully he will agree, I've got an appointment Tues but my regular doctor is away so hopefully the doctor I see will agree for me to go up, didn't get side effects with the 5 so hoping I will be ok on the 10mg, thanks again x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.