Mornings

Posted , 7 users are following.

Shortly after I wake up in the morning my depression, anxiety and panic start up.

I do sleep but sometimes wake up during the night.

I'm taking 75 mg Venlafaxine XL in the morning. I have diazepam I can

use if I need it. They're 2 mg each and I can take two at a time if I need to

Up to three times a day. I try not to use them if I can. Sometimes I have to, but not usually

The full amount.

Does anyone else experience worsening symptoms when they wake in the morning?

What do you do to cope with them. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Not meaning to sound patronising but that is when our brains are just waking up too. If you were woken by a loud noise you would be woken on edge,listing, if you awoke after a pleasant dream you are more likely to be relaxed. Instead, you awake and reality hits home, whatever that is to each one of us. If you were depressed before you went to sleep there is a good chance that it will still be there when you wake up, especially if it is near medication time.

• Posted

Thank you for your advice. (I take my medication in the morning.) I appreciate it very much.
  • Posted

Hey chriselora

Just a thought...is this the time of day when the medication you take is low in your system? If it is maybe under a GPs direction you could just the medication times around a bit?

I don't take anything other then pain meds...but I get nervous at the start of the day before work (I usually just throw myself into the working day the I start to feel better)...but someone pointed out to me once that when you are nervous or anxious about something then it means the situation you are dealing with is important to you...or if ts a peron you're nervous around it means you care for them. It kinda flipped things for me (a new perspecrive) and has helped me to manage my symtpoms better.

Hope this is of some help to you!

• Posted

Thank you for your advice, Jen. I take my medication in the morning as advised by my GP.

My husband has a serious inherited medical condition called Hereditary Haemorrhagic Telangiactesia or HHT.

He also has Arteriovenous Malformations or AVM's.

Very basically he has frequent nosebleeds. Anterior which are like usual nosebleeds and stop on their own.

He also has posterior nosebleeds which are at arterial pressure.

He vomits up the blood which has poured down the back of his throat and has to be taken to hospital by paramedics.

There is no cure at present.

It is always a continuous worry for me so I don't feel able to relax very much.

It's a scary situation all the time.

• Posted

Sometimes I become depressed in the morning as my Chronic Pain and stiffness is bad until about 10;30  so I am stuck until teabreak. I generally take my pain medication an await a positive response.

BOB

• Posted

Hi Chriselora, I also take 75mg Venlafaxine a day and find it works well for me although I do feel bad in the mornings.  I believe that there is a slow release version of Venlafaxine on the market, which would perhaps eliminate your troubles.  I think the doctors are a bit reluctant to prescribe it because it costs more than the ordinary drug, but if you told your doctor how you are struggling I think he/she would consider putting you on it.  I am thinking of asking for it myself as I don't want to double the dose I am taking. 

My daughter is a GP and she has told me that she would not refuse anyone if they specifically requested to change to the slow release Venlafaxine, so good luck with your doctor, I am sure they would agree to the change.

Pat.

• Posted

Yeah I used to get this. The reason for this is that because you have an anxiety disorder your body is seeing the change from sleeping to being awake as a threat and that is enough to kick start your anxiety.what you need to do is when you wake get straight up and have a routine, make green tea, have breakfast and so on, it doesn't matter what you do as long as its the same every day, this made it better for me hope it works for you too

• Posted

when i wake in the mornings im a bit depressed,anxious so after my dogs annoy me 4 a bit i get up,make there food,have a green tea and somthing to eat then it fades off,but it is worrying as you think your going to go like you were when u were full depressed,but you wont so just gey up and let the day ride as always ,STAY STRONG

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.