Mot tens Neuroma

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was diagnosed Mortens Neuroma in 3 toes on each foot two years ago. Steroid injections worked on 2 toes but sadly not on the others. Eventually I opted for surgery after the 'pebbles in my shoe feeling' feeling progressed to crippling burning, stinging, electric shock like pains between my toes.

Im very glad I chose to have the injections first. They were nothing compared to the surgery and gave an almost instant and perfect result approximately 48hours afterwards. They surgery has been succesful but is a big deal. When the durgeon said recovery took 2 weeks he meant the incisions healed in that time. But recovery in the sense of being independant again took nearly 4 months and another 4-5 months to become accustomed and stop worrying to my 'new' feet. They are not the same. The incisions go theough to the bottom of my feet and i can feel them pull. Walking barefoot is tolerable but I wouldnt choose to. And if the temperature drops below about 20 centigrade I have cold feet because they have to cut through minor capillaries and obviously the nerves. So my feet will never be the same again. BUT - I am free of pain and can walk as long as I want. Heels are still a challenge. I would have the surgery if i had to but I am SO glad I had the injections. Just wish they had let me try them again because they are the obvious no-brainer. I would push for that if I had my time again. None of this was explained to me so I dont feel my consent was very well informed. Which is why I am writing this. Do your research and ask what other patients experience is like. And good luck.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

what helped relieve the pain if caught early are to change shoes. preferably flat shoes with more toe room.

add arches to the shoes . if necessary use toe pillows and line area in in shoe that rub. also add a bottom pad in the center of the foot . its a rounded pad to protect the nerve under the middle toes where the nerve pain is generated. resting is also important. purchase spring shoes to take the pressure off the nerve in time you will be able able regular shoes, no more hi heals or any heal... or it will come back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.