Moving in as a couple benefits

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi could anyone help me.

Me and my partner both claim uc at the moment and both have lcwra.

We live in separate houses.

She has 2 children she receives child benefit for.

I recieve standard uc plus lcwra and rent.

We are expecting another child and want to move in together.

Could anyone tell me how this would work with being joint claimants etc and what we would expect money wise.

We are looking at moving in together and the rent 450.

I already recieve allowance for this.

I'm 38 she's 32.

Need help totally confused how this works. It says something about one lcwra payment only. Could one of us claim carers then?

Do we get money for 3 children

Need help. What kind of figure should I expect.

Any help would be appreciated

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

When your partner moves in you'll need to join the 2 UC claims together. You can do this through your journal and which ever one joins the other they will receive a code to give to the other person.

In your UC amount you should expect the standard allowance for a couple. Child elements for 2 children. You won't receive any extra money for the baby because of the 2 child limit rules. Those born after April 2017 won't receive any extra money.

You will only receive 1 LCWRA element and not 2.

One of you can only claim for the carers element if there's an award of either DLA mid/high rate care or PIP daily living.

Amounts will be as follows. Standard allowance £594.04. LCWRA element £341.92. 1st child element £281.25. 2nd child £235.83. Then your housing element on top. Total, without housing element is £1,453.04. If carers element can be claimed then it's an extra £162.92.

Don't forget to make changes with your local council for your council tax because you will also lose the 25% single person discount.

• Posted

Also I'm wondering. My partner has inheritance money in a child savings account linked to her account. Would this affect any of the benefits as it is in the child's name for their future. Thanks

• Posted

If she has access to the savings then yes it will affect all means tested benefits. As she's currently claiming UC then DWP need to know about this, If the savings are over £16,000 then she won't be entitled to any means tested benefits.

If they are over £16,000 then she could potentially have an overpayment If those savings haven't been reported to DWP then she needs to do this ASAP. It's always better to report them than them finding out theirself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.