MOVIPREP INSTEAD OF PICOLAX!

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have had bowel cancer twice and am all clear god willing. I  have surveillance colonoscopies every 2 years. With all the 6 or so colonoscopies I have had in the past I have always been given Picolax to cleanse my bowel. However for my upcoming Colonoscopy I have been prescribed  Moviprep. Has anyone else had experience of both medicines? .I know they both do the same thing but i was wondering if Moviprep was more potent than Picolax as I have been given 4 sachets of Moviprep as opposed to just 2 of Picolax in the past..thanks!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I think everyone’s reaction is different. I found picolax much more violent but other people say different. I find moviprep effective but not too severe. It has quite a lot of stuff to balance your electrolytes. They are different drugs so the quantity does not mean twice the effect. My consultant likes me to have some senna at the start too. The problem with moviprep is some people find it very sickly to drink. I find it ok, but a bit sickly. Lot of people don’t mind it at all. My consultant recommends the orange flavour as slightly less sickly and it helps to make it up beforehand and have it really cold from the fridge. I find the last glass of the second dose about as much as I can take but that’s partly because you are drinking a lot of liquid on an empty stomach. However, I find it much less dehydrating than some preparations. My favourite was citramag but they don’t prescribe that at the hospital my consultant uses and I would rather put up with moviprep and have a consultant who is very good and who I like. Follow the instructions exactly and I usually drink about the same amount of chilled water in addition. Good luck with it all! David.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.