Moviprep timescale for colonoscopy

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have appointment for a colonoscopy tomorrow at 9am. Letter says my 1st moviprep to be taken at 7pm today and the 2nd lot at 6am tomorrow morning. My appointment is at 9!

Somehow I missed the 2nd timing on the letter until just now and that doesn't seem right....

Those of you who have had similar- what were your timings please?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I have not had a colonoscopy myself but know other who have or are preparing for one. On the Salix website where the describe the normal dousing protocol they say:

Instruct adult patients to take two separate doses in conjunction with fluids as follows:

Dose 1 – In the evening before the colonoscopy, approximately 10 to 12 hours before

Dose 2 – Take next morning, on the day of the colonoscopy, approximately 12 hours after the start of Dose 1 and at least 3 ½ hours prior to colonoscopy:

So 6am before a 9am appointment does seem a little close, though of course they may have allowed some time after the 9am appointment for other prep at the hospital.

It certainly would do no harm to take the 2nd dose at 5am. Maybe also bring forward your 7pm does to 5pm if you still can.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.