MRI Tech has me so concerned

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had an MRI for a lump that was felt behind my knee by my orthopedic doctor. I've been seeing an orthopedist for leg weakness and lump behind my knee. He told me that he wasn't at all concerned about the lump. He was sending me for an EMG which he thought could be related to the weakness in my leg. The EMG came back totally normal so he said he thought the issue was in my back. He said he would go ahead and send me for the knee MRI just to make sure the lump wasn't pressing on any nerves or arteries that could be causing the pain. After the MRI was done the technician came in and said don't be surprised if they call you over the weekend to come back for a contrast MRI. Obviously, I asked why? She said there was something on the scan but didn't know what it was. She told me to come back to look at it on the screen. I asked her if she thought it was something bad and she said no she just hadn't seen something like that before that it was small and she didn't know what exactly it was. She said it could be on a nerve sheath or it could be a lymph node. I again asked should I be concerned? She said "this is nothing to write home about."

I was getting dressed and I overheard the front desk lady ask her where to send my scans and she said send them to the radiologist at her house. I'm freaking out! If this weren't something serious why would she make those comments and send my scans to the radiologists house? Is that typical procedure for later appointments on Fridays that they get the scans at their house to review for the weekend? I don't know if she made those comments to try to prepare me or to ease my mind. Either way… Any insight would be very helpful

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You could possibly have a Baker's Cyst which is not serious, I have had two. Because of what you overheard though you are obviously worried and the only way to be reassured is to speak to your G.P. or orthopedic doctor. Good luck.

• Posted

I had an ultrasound of the lamp prior to the MRI and a Baker cyst was ruled out. However, they didn't notice anything on the ultrasound meaning they didn't see the lump. You can feel it in my leg but they could not see it on ultrasound. I never heard anything over the weekend and their offices opened early this morning and I still have yet to be called so I'm taking all of that is a good sign. I'm a natural worrier so this has just kicked my anxiety into super overdrive

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.