MSM (Methyl-Sulfonyl Methane)

Posted , 3 users are following.

Has anyone tried MSM for ME? In another forum thread some people said it didn't help them; one said it made her worse and others said it helps them a lot.

One guy suggested that it helps if you have allergies and if you've got liver problems. I started taking it yesterday and I'm feeling pretty good and alert but it's early days and I'm taking a lot of dense nutrients and supplements.

Mind you before I took it yesterday I was having a bad day and had to rest all day; today it's a good day! I hope it is down to MSM; at least I'm not getting a bad reaction to it as I do with some things.

I'd love to hear about your experiences or even if you haven't tried it anything you know about it?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Georgia, Just be sure to drink lots of water with it.  I understand that this is really important.

• Posted

Thanks Dawn, I always do because I take 3 large smoothies of powdered supplements with vegetable powders per day. I don't like capsules or tablets with harmful addatives.

And with drinking herbal teas I drink around 3 litres per day.

• Posted

Hi to both Georgie and Dawn:  does Dawn mean "straight water with Nothing added", or is it ok to add supplements/tea etc to make up the quantity of water?   Just needing clarification, as this is a common mistake made by many, for we think we are taking in water, when the others are fluids and not just water only ???                        Bron

• Posted

Hi Bronwyn!

I recently heard some very good advice saying that we should follow our own bodies needs so to drink when we're thirsty. Since I've been having the smoothies with supplement and vegetable powders I don't get thirsty. I used to be thirsty all the time!

And I drink a lot of herbal tea and water with a little lime juice sometimes.

The advice to sports athletes used to be to drink a heck of a lot of water until a woman died from drinking too much; that's when the advice changed to athletes to drink it when they're thirsty. Generally it's good to follow the advice given to athletes because it's scientifically stringent.

• Posted

My guess is that it is fine to have the water in the form of a liquid such as herb tea.  All that I know for sure is that my friend who tends to be somewhat of an expert on things like this told me that one must drink plenty of water with MSM
    • Posted

Yes Dawwn;  this advice was given to me as well.  To Increase our Water consumption when taking certain medications, etc; for this is what is needed to flush through our systems what is Not needed.  Other forms can be absorbed into our system (whether wanted or not), especially if referring to coffee/tea etc which are normal Dieuretics.  I know there are always going to be differing interpretations of what is "extra fluid, and what is not", but as to drinking too much water (until you die), well this may also be a case, if kidneys etc not functioning properly ???  The water would be retained in our cells, and not be "transversing across the cellular barriers into our blood stream for passing through kidneys".  An interesting topic that I will certainly follow through with.

?Thankyou both for both insights.                                  Bron

• Posted

I'm actually drinking a lot more water since the veg/supplement smoothies because I used to forget to drink enough of it like a lot of people.

Anyway everything we consume, including water, gets mixed up together in the body so say you drink water after having a meal it's the same as me drinking my smoothies, which contain almost a litre of water each.

My body uses the water up so it's no different to drinking it between meals in my opinion and from this experience. The fast that I don't get thirsty now confirms it.

I haven't drank coffee or black tea for years.

The athlete who died from consuming too much water was fit and well and it was simply too much water that killed her. I'd dig the article out but it'd take time to find it. It's in the uni course I'm doing on sport nutrition and fitness and there are so many articles we're having to study!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.