Multiple issues!

Posted , 3 users are following.

recently diagnosed with ra.  Have degenerative disc disease!  Was put on prednisone and enbrel.  Gained 30 pounds since December!   Was already 50 pounds over!   Went to endocrinologist for growths on adrenal glands that they are watching.  Blood work showed I'm pre-diabetic and suggested aerobic exercise and lose weight!  Was previously on mobic for back issues but rheumatologist said it can cause higher blood pressure, which I already have, so she took me off.  

Now the question...decided to get on treadmill again.  Could only do 10 minutes with a 5 minute break because my back couldn't take it.  Got back on another 10 min.  Went slow.  Did the same thing the next day.  2 days later I could hardly make it up the basement stairs without bring so out of breath and my heart racing.  This was on a day I didn't exercise.  Since then  I have been running a low grade fever, between 100 and 101.  I am really tired like I have some kind of illness!  I don't know if it's caused from inflammation in my back, an ra flare or what!  I forgot to tell you that I have severe swelling in my ankles and feet.  It's gone when I wake up but increases as the day goes on.  Since I had it when I was first diagnosed with ra, I thought it was related to that but the more I read I found that ra swelling usually involves pain which I don't have!  I also have pulmonary fibrosis that was checked out before I could start methotrexate and was cleared.  I wasn't out of breath then.  

Oksy...after my novel...any thoughts?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Prednisolone can cause oedema. Could you have asthma also? it can put a strain on your heart/pulmonary system. Stroids can also increase risk of infection...perhaps antibiotics would help and also looking into M.E. and varying exercise, but only when you feel well enough.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply.  No, I do n't have asthma.  Family day c put me on water pills and potassium.  Swelling greatly reduced.  Sent to cardiologist and hearts is good per numerous tests.  Said I have leaky veins that are causing swelling and wants me to use support hose. Thought methotrexate might be cause of breathlessness.  Took me off of that.  Only swelling is in hands and wrists.  Stopped treadmill thinking the fever was caused by back pain and I can't stand the pain!  Joined local fitness center to try swimming laps and do water aerobics but haven't started because of previous commitments.  Off of prednisone!  Only meds for ra is enbrel with tons of vitamins!  Hoping that's enough for ra.  Will be going to rheumatologist this week for follow-up.
    • Posted

Glad your lungs and heart are ok! Thanks for reply. Glad the water pills and vits help also. Leaky veins sounds tough to deal with. Hope the support wear helps. Enbrel can cause swelling in the hands I think-perhaps you should tell your dr straight away. Back pain is awful. Good luck with the other exercise and at the rheum. appt. You're really brave. N
    • Posted

Wouldn't consider myself brave...not after reading the posts of the other people on here!  I'm doing great in comparison!  As far as the lungs...I have interstitial Lung disease.  Probably caused by ra.  One reason they took me off methotrexate, it can cause it but I had it before the metho.  Last MRI said it hasn't changed, good news!

thanks for your reply!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.