Multiple weird symptoms - could alcohol be causing them?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi all,

I've been having some terrible symptoms for the past 6 years, and I think it's connected to alcohol use. I wanted to post just in case someone else has had something similar / has heard of something like this, in order to help me get a diagnosis.

I started drinking in college, 17 years ago. It was binge drinking, 3x/week for 5 years, and then after college it was 2x/week until about age 32. At age 32, I started getting some pain in my abdomen, right near the liver. It wrapped around to my back, around toward my right shoulder blade. I cut back on drinking but did not stop. About that same time, I started to get unbelievable bouts of weakness/fatigue, noticed my hair was starting to fall out (probably 40-50 strands of hair on my desk every day at work), started getting thirsty all the time, sweating abnormally with any amount of exertion/heat, and getting random bouts of chills/cold intolerance. I also experience extremely rapid muscle fatigue - just walking up steps will make me feel like I just completed a full leg workout with the heaviest weights I've ever used. I also get some blood when I wipe after a BM (occasional), frequent diarrhea , and nausea (no vomiting). I do not have any jaundice. I did have some itching when the pain first onset, but that's somewhat subsided.

I noticed that my symptoms - especially the pain - are worse after I would drink and/or eat poorly. Now, I rarely drink because I'm terrified of how it's going to make me feel. When I don't drink, my symptoms are still around, but at a far lower intensity. But, for instance, I will take a month off drinking, and then when I do - 2 or 3 drinks won't make me feel anything (though I should start to feel drunk quickly, right?), and my symptoms will come back quickly and last for weeks at a time. They are so debilitating.

My CT scans have been fine. My bloodwork has been fine, aside from two recent tests showing elevated (11.5) AFP serum. I also had a HIDA scan, which was fine. 2 colonoscopies have been clear.

Even if my liver is technically OK from a workup standpoint, it feels like introducing any kind of toxins cause my body to go into a downward spiral that lasts for weeks at a time. And, after I recover from this and then experiment with a couple of drinks, the symtpoms will come back stronger than the last time, and last even longer.

Can anyone relate to this or have any ideas?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.