multivitamin for hemochromatosis

Posted , 6 users are following.

Can anyone recommend a multivitamin to take during the  phlebotomy  stage of my hemochromatosis please, its awfully confusing..

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I would be careful of any multivitamins as you want to make sure they do not have iron included (the last thing you need).  Also, you'd want to stay away from vitamin C (since this enhances iron absorption).

I've heard that calcium tablets and vitamin D are good for you to take. I wouldn't worry about your blood rebuilding as it does seem to do that rather quickly.

I hope this helps.    

• Posted

Hi Stephen

I stopped all multivitamins, once I was diagnosed h/hemochromatosis

Multivitamins contain other nasties not good for our condition

Most advise introducing temeric (in cooking), tannin(black tea)

Calcium tablets,magnesium.

Look on the hemochromatosis society website lots of useful information

Or you can phone them or email them.

Cheers philx

• Posted

Hi. Def no multi vits. I take calcium, turmeric, green tea and IP6 supplements every day. Some superb anti oxidants and stop iron absorption and damned good for you. Eat well just before giving blood and drink plenty before and after. I always had a bar of chocolate during!

What level is your ferritin at the mo?

Wish you well...

Mike.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.