Muscle aches

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone experienced muscle aches on Topiramate (back of shoulders and neck/head in particular) with a unpleasant tightening feeling in head?  Not feeling great on this although I hVent had any migraines in the 3 weeks since being on it, I really don't feel myself and wondered if it will get better?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I was on Topiramate for a couple of years and have just come off it. I ached the whole time and assumed it was the Topiramate but now that I'm off it, I still ache so it is difficult to say whether the aching is just a development associated with migraines or the drug! It is odd that I have been reading a lot of posts about aching joints, even from people taking different drugs. I wonder if there is a group of us suffering from a specific sort of migraine that also attacks joints?
    • Posted

That's very interesting., I have suffered from aching joints since the menopause but HRT seems to have helped with this until I started this drug butt the ache is specifically around the neck and shoulder area.  Can I ask why you have come off Topiramate now?  Have your migraines returned?  I am still weighing up the benefits of this drug against the side effects of which there are many.
    • Posted

I stopped topiramate because it didn't help my migraines which have got even worse over the last few years. I also found that I was becoming a zombie - I couldn't remember words and was in a daze most of the time. My husband agreed that I was 'spaced out' while I was on it. I did also have a sort of heaviness in the head for weeks on end and this has gone now I've stopped taking it.

I have just gone through the menopause and am not on HRT - so maybe the aching joints are just the menopause and not associated with migraines?

• Posted

Hi cindy seems like everyone who has replied has talked about general aches but not really answered your question. Hope ur feeling better now. 

I felt like this when I was taking propranolol for migraines and it turned out the pressure and constant ache in the head, shoulders and neck was a tension headache and no painkillers will touch it. It could range from a bad head ache to just a dull ache I could ignore. I had to come off the medication and now take the toprimate for my migraines so am going to have to see how I go with this. 

I suggest you go back to your GP and mention tension headache to them as there is another drug u can take instead. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.