Muscle cramps.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Some days if I do more physical work  I get muscle cramps in my legs. Mostly it happens  when I am waking up from a nap or in the morning. 

It started mostly when I begin taking high blood pressure medication 

I take Diovan now but it also use to  happen when I took losartan.  

I don’t think it could be low potassium because the  blood pressure high  blood pressure medication I think can’t give you high potassium. 

I suppose it could be dehydration although I don’t get thirsty. 

Does anyone have any ideas?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Friend of mine gets some muscle cramps, though he takes no BP drugs.  Try some magnesium and/or calcium supplements and some vitamin D - often all together in one capsule.  Or some cottage cheese, spinach, almonds, and maybe some fish, cheese, eggs, other enriched dairy products, for vitamin D.
  • Posted

steve06287...Please do yourself a huge favour & don't assume anything. There are blood pressure medications out there that certainly CAN cause levels of potassium to rise. Also, there are some of the medicines that can cause potassium levels to drop. Cramping is a symptom of a potassium level disturbance, but that can only be determined by a blood test. 

Also, one doesn't have to be thirsty in order to be deydrated. 

You asked..."does anyone have any ideas"?..I do!...I strongly suggest you get back to your doctor. Don't doctor yourself.

• Posted

OK, 

Thanks Mike I am just about to for a doctor visit anyways. 

• Posted

It could be the way you sleep at night and the body positioning. I think you should exercise.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.