Muscle loss in foot, 5 months after surgery.

Posted , 4 users are following.

So 5 months ago, I had ankle surgery (see other discussions) that has seen recovery full of complications.

I am gaining back the muscle I lost in my calf due to immobilization, but now am discovering that the muscles in my foot are wasting away.

I am type 2 diabetic, with unconfirmed rheumatoid arthritis and degenerative bone disease, both affecting the same foot.

I now wonder what else is going on considering there is now this finding to add to my list of complications.

Cab I wait to see my surgeon in March, or do I go see my family dr in the meantime?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

that is worrisome however, I had muscle loss from being non weight bearing for 8 weeks then another 4 in a boot. I could  not believe how skinny my leg and foot was. Just don't know, maybe a look from your family practice doc? 

• Posted

My foot was swollen for almost 4 months, and today is the first time I've actually really looked at it since the swelling dissipated.

• Posted

I just did a bit more reading and found a couple of things that make sense to me.

The surgeon I'm pretty sure, Torr a tendon during surgery. According to what I read, this can be a cause of muscle wasting.

Also, rheumatoid arthritis can be a cause of this.

I see my rheumatologist on the 1st, maybe she can shed some light in the issue.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.