My brother has become very ill and I need some help figuring out where he's at.

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hello,

I am quite new to this forum so I want to say before I start that the questions I have are for end of life symptoms. so if that is going to bother anybody, you know ahead of time what this is about.

my brother is very ill. he was told 3 years ago when he went to a family practitioner for the first time in years that he was lucky he had come in when he had, otherwise he would have been dead in 2 weeks. they said he had stage 4 liver disease. he was in a lot of pain at the time. through various dietary changes, medication and some Lifestyle Changes he began feeling a great deal better. he ended up getting covid a few months ago and he is becoming steadily worse.

my father called me 3 days ago and told me that he was going to the doctor and wanted me to come to keep an eye on my brother as my father believed that my brother needed to go to the hospital. when I came over and saw him I was stunned. he could barely lift his head off of his desk, and then when he did he would take maybe a taste, a bite almost too small for a mouse of something and would proceed to get crazy hiccups just from a taste of food. long story short, his doctor has put him back on pain meds and is giving him oral morphine, which is new. he's very scared. the toxins in his blood from the liver failure have him very confused and easily distracted and easily disoriented. he said his kidneys are not in good shape. he will not go to the hospital. he has a childhood fear of it. he's got shakes or trembles. he's thinking he had a mini stroke, of course there is no drooping of the face, but there would not be if it was a mini stroke. so now he will sit and try to doze off a little and is jerking his whole body jerks within a minute or two. then he trembles. he does not have a fever and unfortunately I have not been able to get any other vitals. he is constantly nauseated and throwing up pretty often. he's weak as water.

does anyone have any idea , even an uneducated guess, in regard to how much time he has. I know everyone is different. but I need to prepare all of us if this is coming to a close. i think I already know my answer, but maybe I just have to have someone tell me. again, I know everybody is different, and I know someone's symptoms may not mirror that of another person's. but anything would help. my husband's father is in bad shape too so I just have not had time to try to look this up. thank you so much for taking the time to read this. I wish everyone a beautiful New Year's filled with hope and laughter and love.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.