My colonoscopy experience 2016

Posted , 3 users are following.

Ok so today I had my first colonscopy and after reading all the horror stories I felt I needed to share my experience, on arrival you are asked general health questions then you get into a gown and wait to have your exam, they asked me would I like sadation or not I declined because I don't like feeling weird or drowsy and prefer to man it up, my advice take sedation do

Not refuse and make sure you get someone to collect you and look after for 24 hours it's worth it,

so I'm on the bed and the exam is going to take place I am nervous and tensed they offer me gas/air I had one puff and went dizzy so said no thank you,

Now I won't lie like most have on these forums it is very unconftable and there is pain especially when they take the corners off the bowel, they pump air into the bowel to get around which is the unconftable feeling,

The nurse sat by me and talked to me and helped me through, the whole staff was brilliant, I also had byiops taken and you also feel the tugging,

So I do wish I took sedation as it was 40 mins long and felt like 2 hours the sedation might make the time go quicker, but without it is not a nice feeling at all.

When done they take you to what they call the fart ward, basically all the air left into the bowel needs to come out so prepare to fart and don't feel embarrassed.

You are given your results and off you go bare in mind if you take sedation they will keep you longer but I advise that.

I got through it with a brave face my advice stay calm take a sedation and will be over in no time.

Take the day and next day off work to recover as you will be tiered after, get your strength back.

Hope my experience helps and hope I have not kicked your anxiety levels I just want people to prepare than come out thinking why did I not take this advice smile

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Thank you Matty

I'm a firm believer in sedation, only cuz I get too tense and anxious. Unlike those who do enjoy watching the procedure on the monitor... I'm fine with sleeping thru the whole procedure.

Thanks for sharing.

• Posted

I am due to book mine and feeling quite nervous as suffer from IBS as well.  What did you eat two days before procedure?  I intend to have light boiled eggs and white bread toasted with butter before the starvation.  I am dreading the starvation and do nt know how I will cope with empty stomach, feeling faint etc.  Before procedure do you have urge to use toilet and what happens if you are travelling.  You get results immediately, what happens if it is bad news?  Thanks for posting your experience.
    • Posted

Hi Marie

Eat what you like but the day before your exam you will need to fast but before 9am the day before you can have breakfast and eggs are fine.

hunger hits us all different but I cheated I had 2 apples a few hours before I went to sleep I just pealed the skin off and enjoyed the apples it does no harm and can't been seen on the scan, drink plenty off water keep hydrated.

get you're gown on and go the toilet so when you do go in for your exam you won't have the urge.

You will be given your results straight away and they will also go to your gp who you will need a follow up with.

I was diagnosed with bowel disease and a fistula so I am waiting on my follow up as we speak smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.