My daughter died of breast cancer, aged 41.

Posted , 2 users are following.

She left three little girls and I would like to have genetic testing done to determine their risk. Since I live in the USA, I am unfamiliar with the state of screening in the UK. Can someone guide me to a reputable lab that can perform the appropriate screening for corrupted genes that mean higher risk of breast cancer.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I'm so dreadfully sorry for your loss, and for the fact that nobody has replied sooner to your message.

Perhaps you have already found the info you need by another means. But I'll tell you want I know.

My mother died of ovarian cancer, which is known to share the same genetic risk as BC. My GP offered me the chance to have the screening test done. I don't have the gene.

I am sure that your granddaughters need only ask, one they turn 18, and they will be given the same test I was. It was accompanied by some counseling by a lovely nurse as of course a positive result may have led to further decisions and anxiety.

I hope I've put your mind at rest on this matter at least. God bless.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.