My doctor said its normal, what do you think?

Posted , 7 users are following.

So I've had about 8 urinary tract infections in the past 10 years. I had one was 11, 12, 15 and 3 in 2015 (20 yo) and two this year. The doctor said I should classify two of the three I had last year as one as technically it was the same infection because the antibiotics didnt kill them all off. 

Moving on I got my second one this year and I wanted to see what you lovely individuals thought. 

I've had two infections in each year 2 years in a row, both around the exact same time (April-May and September-October). This period of time is exactly when the last assignments are due for uni, the most stressful period where everything is due. This time is particularly hard because we also lost the family pet whom I had an extremely close bond with.

The doctor says that the infections are highly likely triggered by stress and anxiety compromising my immune system. What do you guys think? 

Another one I wanted to discuss was what my doctor said about how normal my infections are. She said that getting two urinary tract infections a year for women who do get urinary tract infections like I do is very very normal and that I should not be worried. 

Again, what do you guys think? 

I'm very interested to hear what you all have to say, let me know! smile 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I wouldn't say 2 a year was over the top, especially when you factor in stress and anxiety.  When you were younger (11 and 12), your bathroom habits might not have been totally ingrained yet (wiping front to back).  Age 15 could've been your lifestyle (too many sodas, too much sugar, etc.).

I have 2-4 in a row every 3-4 years.  It takes that long to get rid of the infection.  I just finished a lengthy bout, it's been a few months so I fully expect to be infection free for 3-4 years.

• Posted

You're absolutely right about bathroom habits when I was 11-12. Was never taught properly until my GP actually asked me out right after the uti I had when I was 12. 15 was definitely caused by too many sodas and not enough water so my salt and sugar levels would have been through the roof in relation to water. 

now it's definitely due to stress. 

When you say 2-4 in a row is it the same infection just lasting for a long time or is it different infections each time? 

the biggest gap between infections I can remember was the gap between 15 and 20. Those were some nice years infection free haha smile 

Thank you for your input!

• Posted

Danielle, it's a different infection each time.  I will take a 7-10 day cycle of antibiotics (usually Macrobid), have 2-3 weeks with no symptoms or signs of infection...symptoms come back and a urine test proves the infection is back.  Another 7-10 day cycle of antibiotics...

I wasn't troubled much in my younger years (2-3 in a 20 year period, maybe).  When I became post-menopausal, the frequency increased.

• Posted

My frequency is about the same though I didn't get the 1st until I was a lot older than you (over 40). Mine are also stress related in my opinion. I get them just before I am due to go on holiday because I worry about being ill while away! I had one 2 weeeks ago and am going back to the doctor today because I am not sure that it has cleared fully.

• Posted

Yes I am currently wondering why i didn't have any during year 12 or first year of university in terms of stress but it was probably because i had stress outlets back then like regular basketball and exercise. I'm getting back into that soon so hopefully that will contribute to better health = less infections!

Yes often I find that even after the course of antibiotics is finished there still might be a little bit of discomfort and yet a second urine sample suggests no more infection. My GP says after an infection sometimes that area can be a little sensitive for a few days so it is normal to feel slight discomfort, it can just be a little unnerving though. My GP was kind enough to give me so antibiotics to take to Africa just in case smile 

• Posted

Try over-the-counter Azo tablets for lingering discomfort (and pre-doctor's appointment burning and irritation).

• Posted

You shouldn't be worried 2 a year isn't that much....I have possibly 10 a year & now on life time antibiotics after 2 operations & endless cameras up there, there maybe the the smallest some there that aggravates with stress during the suggested times you explained, try to drink as much water on a daily basis as you can and if you want extra reassurance try taking cranberry tables see how that goes xx

• Posted

I am very interested in your story. 

10 a year? I can barely cope with 2 I can't imagine how you're able to do that. Did they find anything wrong?

Yes I take cranberry tablets and when I run out I drink plenty of cranberry juice! smile 

Thank you for your input!

• Posted

I used to have 2-3 separate UTIs a year for 10 years. I haven't had one for 2.5 years now. I sure hope they're not coming back for no reason. I'm going to expect them to never come back again.

I'm not sure I believe that stress causes them, but I can believe a lack of good SLEEP due to stress and/or working long hours would lower ones immunities. Also when we're working long hours on something we tend to increase caffeine intake and we SIT a lot more. 

• Posted

I have been dealing with UTI's for 45 years. I have always said they are a result of stress, swimming, and sex. I saw a new urologist twice in the last week and I feel like I found a doctor who understands. I had an untradound of my bladder that came back clear. However; when I had the cystoscope a large area of my bladder was red and irritated. Dr. Patel thought it was a result of chronic UTI's. He put me back on nightly Macrodantin 50 mg and told me to continue using Vagifem. I was send home with a bag of sterile sample containers and wipes for a clean catch if I believe I have a UTI. I honestly believe if I stay on the Macrodantin I will be fine. Unfortunately, I went off once this year and last year at the advise of two different doctors. I know my body best and will beg to differ with a doctor if this happens. My new urologist told me that the Macrodantin sterilizes the urine. Many years ago I had a urologist say to me I have 100 woman like you and I do not know why. I am happy I found an understanding doctor! I feel for all you ladies that are going through this. I, like all of you take daily showers, wear cotton panties, wipe properly, pee before and after sex, drink lots of water, and take vitamins, and probiotics. Thank you for this on-line support group. Gail in Georgia

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.