my experience

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi y'all! I wish I found this group before I had my total hip replacements. But a little background ..I initially thought it was my knee that was going because that's where all the pain was... but found out it was my hip when I went to the orthopedic surgeon and had xrays. We scheduled the surgery and I went home and started looking online and found out about the different approaches. Anterior method is by far the least invasive and quickest recovery according to all the websites. Well I called my surgeon he said he doesn't know how to do the anterior method but does the old fashioned lateral kind but referred me to another surgeon in his group who is an expert.. apparently you have to be well trained in that method as it's completely different from lateral. I really could have used this forum! The horror stories I heard from other people who had hip surgery with the lateral method about not being able to bend over or cross your legs terrified me... surgery went wonderfully they got me up after a few hours and the next day the therapist walked me down the hall your pencil on the floor and told me to pick it up.... surprised me but I bent over and picked it up! Used the walker for a few days ...Drove after 2 weeks. That was a year and a half ago and I just had my second hip replaced by the same method and in 3 weeks post op used the walker again for a few days and drove after 2 weeks again, this one is a little harder to get into the car because it was my right hip, so I just use a little step stool to get into my truck. I had an epidural with this one and was still put under anaesthesia, also no catheter this time they get you up to pee right away and instead of staples they glued my five inch incision up. I still sleep on my back mostly or my left hip side... I think it was about 6 weeks before I could sleep on the incision with my first hip. Anyway my point in this post is that unless I hadn't done my research on the internet regarding different methods I would never have known about the anterior method and I would have had to go through all the restrictions placed on you with the traditional method. So my advice to everyone is to look into the different methods and find a great surgeon. I've been going through this forum reading other people's experiences and it is so helpful...

4 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

It's wonderful that you have had such positive experiences with both of your THR's! Thanks for sharing, Hope your recovery stays on track and it seems that you are fully participating in life already. Wish I were doing that well. In time, I am sure I'll be ok, too. 
    • Posted

Thanks Annie and I hope your recovery goes well.. how far along are you? I'm realizing by reading this forum that I am very lucky but since I'm still only 3 weeks out anything can happen... I still can't touch my scar and the one on the other side from the left hip still has numbness around it but that really doesn't bother me since being rid of the pain was almost a miracle at that point!
    • Posted

I am almost 7 months out. You sound VERY lucky to me! The numbness might be permanent, and I have some numbness, too. That doesn't bother me. It is the pain when trying to use my leg and the lack of mobility that bother me. I'm glad things go so very smoothly for many who have THR!
  • Posted

Hey blueline welcome to our forum we are like a family as we have all or are about to go through hip replacements. I had my 1st hip done before l found this gorum on dec 9th. I still an not sure which kind it was but l am sure it was the antirior as my scar is more yo the side going round to my bum cheek. I have to say l had no trouble recovering from thid. I was up walking the next day with walker to then l got my sticks next day and did stairs. I had a GA so was out the full op. I think l might havr had some kind of epidural to but not the spinal one.

I went home on day 4 and as soon as l got home l never used the sticks again and loke you was drving a few weeks later.

I had dissolvable stitches and when l seem my scar l was shocked at hoe neat it was now 9 or 19 weeks post op u can hardly see the scsr its amazing.

My 2nd hip reolacement is monday coming and l can't wait as then its all over and its just a case of recovering hopefully as fast as 1st.

This forum is brilliant as you can disguss or ask for help or an opinion on anything as we have all been there. We have all went through hard times it can be mentally draining, depressing and hard sometimes as you are stuck at home your sleeping is turned upside down and l know l have days of crying because l miss my normal life.

But for me l have 4 days to my last op and then its just recovery time.

This forum has helped so much its gave me the helo and support l needed. And i have also enjoyed helping others .

Wishing you well and don't be afraid to ask anything as everyone is here to help

Laura x

• Posted

Best of luck on your upcoming surgery! I'm sure it will be the same as the last.
  • Posted

Hi blueline,

Well researched - I hope too you're finding folk's experiences on here useful too, sharing advice, ups and downs after hipie ops. We seem to have very different advices given us, and some surgeons arn't reding up on the need for post op exercises as much as might be hoped. We heal differently too, depending on age, gender, but maybe most of all pre op fitness.

Anyway, have a nice day, and hope healing goes well for you

Warmly

mic

• Posted

Hi blueline, 

Good for you !!! I wish I was composed enough to do some research when I heard that I needed to have THR surgery - Not found this forum yet but threw myself in the arms of  a stranger, fully trusting him that he'd know what he was doing - and it worked - not miraculeous by all means - Had the old fashioned posterior approach, twice, dealt and still dealing with the restrictions - 

I did ask him if he could do the anterior method with 2nd THR, but he said that he was not experienced enough - I stayed with him because he did a  good job on the 1st one -

I am wee bit jealous to read about all the things you can do, but hey, it is done, and I am grateful 

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Renee I'm glad you're doing so well! Recovery is a long road and I cannot wait to play with my grandson again on the floor... he's just three but he understands that grandma's got a new hip and he has to take it easy on me! All the best to you in your recovery! Pain pills are a Godsend!Marcie
  • Posted

Hi Blueline

I am so interested in your post and happy to know you have had such a good experience.It is an encouragement to those of us still looking for answers,so thank you for that.

I have been researching for a long time now and my hip condition is getting gradually worse.

Like you I wanted to find out all the possible options before making a decision.

I know that the Anterior approach is mostly used in France and from reports of my son's father in law who is French I learned that recovery is easier than the Posterior method because the muscles are not compromised to the same extent.

The thing is that Anterior is less common here in UK , for one reason that it needs A) more assistance in the theatre or B) a special and expensive operating table as used by some surgeons in USA.

Maybe cost is a reason why it is less common here and not often available within the NHS.

I am interested to know where you had your THRs with such a positive outcome.

If you could tell me where,and at which hospital and the name of your surgeon I would appreciate it very much.

Being quite elderly and living alone I am fearful of the recovery process and the chance of doing something stupid after the operation with no-one around to pick me up if I fall or help when I am in difficulty.

I am also quite terrified of the entire procedure.

Your post is so reassuring,so thank you for taking the time to pass on your experiences.

Best wishes 

Joy

• Posted

Hi Joy. Thanks for your kind words! Yes it was a scary decision to have the surgery but I guess we just get to a point where the pain outweighs our fears. My surgeon was dr. Alex Gordon from Illinois Bone and Joint, they are a group of orthopedic surgeons with many specialties and work out of several area hospitals around Chicago.. I had mine at Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge Illinois. I know people who have had the other surgical method and afterwards they went to a rehab facility for several weeks after the surgery because it is a safer option then going home alone. I wish you all the best and I'm wondering if you could find a surgeon in your area who does the anterior method and can be put on a waiting list.... I would take that option. All the best, Marcie
    • Posted

Joy. The Hospital is now called Advocate Luther General.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.