My experience...painful the day after

Posted , 4 users are following.

So yesterday afternoon I had a colonoscopy.. Since mid june I have had unexplained stomach pain and kept being given medication. Since mid Feb I could not open my bowels. Long story short I had a few attempts of Bowel prep ready for yesterday as I was severely blocked.

Nurse took my obs before hand sat in the waiting room until my name was called and I felt like running out. I got called in got changed and was taken to the recoveries area until the room was ready for my procedure. They told me that it is not a painless procedure but I will be made comfortable and a little sleepy.... THEY LIED!! I was fully aware what was happening even with sedation I felt everything. I didn't stay in recovery very long. Within 5 minutes of being in the recovery room I needed a wee. So the nurses saw I was fine to walk and I was discharged 10 minutes after the colonoscopy! I went home feeling full of air and bloated and today I keep getting pains around my belly button. I haven't passed wind today though.

Has anyone else experienced pain 24 hours after a procedure and if so what did they do. I have had the same pain before the procedure so I don't know if it is linked or not.

Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Amy, painless nonesense. I don't trust them anymore. Although I had a CD colonoscopy this time I had so much pain I yelled to stop. No they didn't.  

I feel it triggered something inside and I have lost taste and appetite since.

Incredible weight loss continues. 

• Posted

It may be your original symptoms but I certainly get bloating and am a bit on and off with food afterwards. If you get intense pain or bleeding that gets no better or worse then that's a different story and you need to tell them but I get mild bloating etc for several days after a colonoscopy. It's not surprising really because you have had a violent laxative and a tube inside you. On the sedation point, I have had a number of colonoscopies and the sedation never has quite the same effect (although it is the same drugs). Last time I remember virtually nothing. First time I remembered the whole thing although I didn't find it painful. I don't think mild bloating or a bit of nausea or minor upset stomach is that unusual after a colonoscopy. One guy on this site had it for about 4 days and I usually get it for 3. Hope all goes well.
  • Posted

I  hope you are feeling a little better today. I was scoped both ends (colon was twice due to an equipment failure) approx 2 months ago and I am still getting strange/odd issues.  I am getting discomfort around my navel along with bloating, I also get a shooting pain occasionally heading to the left of my abdomen, the worst issue being my bum (sorry to be graffic) appears to have gone into shock,  and does not want to do anything!   I had the procedure done without sedation, I would rather be in full control of my faculites and they were warned at the beginning that if i said "stop" then they must stop.    The discomfort and pain that you are experiencing seems to be standard for this barbaric procdure and it is even more so of a joke when you are not getting bowel related issues to begin with but end up with them.  I have a gallstone, that is all, nothing sinister and certainly not bowel related.   I really hope things settle down soon for you.
    • Posted

Thanks for your message. Today has been awful. Kept going really hot in work my face was like a tomatoe and I just couldn't sit still at all. The pain is around my belly button and I look like I am about to pop 4 babies out. I can't really eat much I get that full really quick haven't really ate since the procedure. I have tried taking paracetamol and Windies tablets to see if that helps and buscapan but it's still early days really but it is so uncomfortable I think I am just a wimp with pain. I have a Barium follow through X-ray and Thursday and that apparently makes you bloated and sore too so I might just bury myself in a corner by the end of this week.

Anyone else get that feeling like someone has just stuck of pole up your bum or is it just me 🙈

• Posted

I agree with the pole up the bum!  I was that tense throughout the 90 mins on the table that all my muscles ached for about 4 days after too.  If you can get your hands on some enteric pepermint that may help (Holland and Barret sell it).  As for eating, try jelly/custard/warm soup, that seemed to help me a little.  You are probably constipated too so maybe try some prunes.  Let us know how you get on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.