My experience with methotrexate and the Auto-immune Protocol diet (or the "worse than paleo diet")

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I've been absent from here for a few (!) weeks as I wanted to find out how my new drug regime was working out before making any statement or comment about how it was working out - or not. It's been nearly 12 weeks since I started on methotrexate at the behest of my rheumatologist. Let me state categorically that I did not want to take it and was very resistant. I was however, feeling so poorly I would have run naked through nettles if I thought it would have helped.

It takes about 6 weeks for the methotrexate to actually start kicking in. In the first month however, I cut my pred down from 20mg to 10mg in 5mg increments. That in itself brought about good improvement as it seems the pred was no longer as effective on me as it could have been - prednisone resistance. The brain fog lifted significantly and I could walk again without assistance.

Around the same time I also consulted a naturopath. I am a true skeptic and approached this appointment with great cynicism. I was not disappointed! The woman seemed very unsure of herself and I was not convinced it was not all quackery - but I signed up for a 4 month plan anyway…. and walked away with a fistful of supplements to take and a 6-8 week auto-immune protocol (AIP) diet sheet of what, and what not, to eat. It took me another month, and a LOT of reading, before I fully committed to the new eating plan.

Two weeks later I felt amazing. I’m six weeks in and I feel spectacular!

One could argue it’s the methotrexate fully kicking in, or one could argue that it’s both the methotrexate AND the diet. That’s what I’m going for. There’s absolutely no doubt in my mind that they are both contributing to the state of wellness I have now. I walk without pain. The brain fog has completely gone. I’m no longer depressed. I can go all day without getting tired. I've started losing weight....and DanRower would be proud of me, I am even thinking of exercising again!

Would I recommend methotrexate? Yes. Would I recommend the AIP diet? Unequivocally, YES. There’s a ton of stuff out there to read, but there’s two sites worth looking at: Paleo mom and Autoimmune protocol

I have another couple of weeks before I start re-introducing the eliminated foods but at this stage I'm so happy with the improvement to my health I don't care if/when this happens.

4 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh, I couldn't be happier for you, dear FlipDover Aust!

Good news!

Thank you for sharing with us your positive results. More we know about those subjects better it is for us to fight against our health issues. Great!

Keep being as well as you are now!

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your story. It's uplifting and hopeful. I certainly welcome success story. I'm so pleased for you and truly hope you continue to do so well on your path to wellness.
  • Posted

Pleased to hear this is working for you.  Thank you for sharing.  However, I've looked this up a few times and never can bring myself to try it.  I feel I'd be really hungry, because I don't eat meat and our seafood choices here are, ironically, limited and expensive - don't believe in the farmed rubbish.  And you're not allowed legumes or eggs or seeds or dairy (other protein choices), so at that point I throw up my hands and carry on with limiting simple carbs....
    • Posted

Hey, Anhaga, the same as you I have been avoiding red meat. However a couple of weelsxagobI bought a smal Crock Pot - one quarter and since then started preparing stews, or a small roast so tender, no need to use a knife to cut it. All without salt, just onions , garlic, celery and herbs as seasonings.

We need to eat a little bit of everything, isn't right?!

Love to share this with you!

• Posted

I gave up meat many years ago after reading how the animals are raised, and have no wish to eat suffering.  It does make life more complicated, but so be it.  It's hard to be completely consistent (leather shoes for example) but one tries.
    • Posted

Hey Anhanga,

Forgot to say I just eat organic whatever red meat, or chicken.

• Posted

It took me a month to commit not only because I was sceptical, but because I was scared of losing my favourite foods, and also that it was going to be just too hard.

Not eating meat could be a problem I admit, but not impossible since you will already have a better than normal vegetable repitoire! the thing I've realised is that the 'worse than paleo' AIP is about vegetables, not meat. Unlike popular misconceptions about 'paleo' which focuses almost solely on the meat factor. You would notice losing the legumes more than me I imagaine.

I don't buy farmed seafood either and tbh since starting this protocol I've almost completely moved to 'organic' foods (I always question this label as how much 'inorganic' food do we eat?) Americans living on little debbies aside!

• Posted

I just eat organic whatever red meat, or chichen.

Red meat I started eating once a week recently, instead of once a month as I had been doing.

Greens, veggies, fruits as well I look for the organic ones as much as I can.

As we exchange our experiences we learn a lot- what a good thing!

• Posted

Great news for you Flip.

I did have a look at your diet plan, but like Anhaga, I'm vegetarian and not being able to eat legumes etc would just not work for me.

Good luck and really hope you continue to feel better.

• Posted

Hi FlipDover Just read your discussion and had a look at the diet sheets. Very interesting to read ,I like many others following this site are vegetarian ,and I find their is just to much meat and fish in the meals .i wish you all the luck in the world with your recovery from the dreaded PMR xx
    • Posted

I am also a vegetarian and have been for over 30 years. If there are plenty of us on here it makes me hope that our " healthy" diet hasn't impacted on us. 

I haven't changed my diet drastically but have tried to lower the ammount of carbs that I eat and have started eating more fruit via my nutribullet. 

Glad that the diet and change of meds has helped you. Always nice to hear of some good news on here.

Ron

• Posted

Well, your posting couldn`t  have come at a better time for me....I am desperate to feel better, have most of the symptoms you descibe.....and have also been offered MTHX but been too scared to try it.  I also have Fibromyalgia and don`t tolerate medication well at all.....so have always thought how would I tolerate MTHX, but I`m not tolerating the Pred either!....I think it`s a mindset too, it has to be the right time to do these things...I am going to make an appointment with my doctor to try MTHX and will look up the diet.....Lovely to hear of your improvement....long may it continue.  Please keep us posted how you are getting on...Thank You
    • Posted

Rheumatologist thinks I have fibro too....and I'm taking Lyrica for that. Maybe give metho a go.....? 
    • Posted

Tried Lyrica, couldn`t tolerate it....I`m such a delicate thingwink  I can only try MTHX and see....I`m housebound feeling so ill lots of the time....

Rang Doc yesterday, and it`s about 3 weeks to wait for appointment....Will keep you posted how it goes......Thanks again...

• Posted

I'm keen to hear how you get on Linda. I was so sick before i started I couldn't have imagined such a huge improvement. Haven't seen anything like it since the first dose of pred back in the beginning....
    • Posted

Linda-

I too was plagued by fybromyalgia and I happened to come across a cardiologist's book on heart disease. His name is Dr. Steven Sinatra and the supplements he uses for his cardiac patients also ease fibromyalgia symptoms. It was a miracle for me!

His regime is

D- ribose

Magnesium

Fish oil

CoQ10

L-carnatine

But please research because the d-ribose can elevate blood sugar and the L-carnatine can be and issue for thyroid if you have a condition (I have and under active thyroid so I took L-glutamine instead).

I had amazing results! My pain was reduced by 50% in 24 hrs. Then another 40% the next day. Then gone and my energy level was back to normal.

I did have to adjust the amount of d-ribose because I suspected it may have started headaches. However, decreasing it to a very small amount (pinch) still gave me relief without the headache.

Please ask your doctor and try this method. It was a life-saver for me. I wish you well.

• Posted

Wow, thanks for that...I am desperate for an ease of PMR and fibro pain....there is a distinct difference between the two...will certainly see into that....

​Do you also have Polymyagia?.....if so do the above that you take go ok with Pred and the calcium /VitD we have to take?

​Thanks again, much appreciated......

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.