My fibroid story and questions

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 53 and post menopausal. I had slippery, heavy discharge with no color or smell, maybe 2-3 times in the last year or two. My most recent experience with it was about 3 weeks ago. 2 weeks ago I had some cramping. Im very active and noticed while lifting weights. 4 days later I started spotting. It was never heavy enough to use a pad and varied in color from brownish to red. About 4-5 days into bleeding, I started to progressively experience more and more pain and it became dibilitating. My entire abdomen/pelvic region and my back were killing me. The bleeding lasted 8 days.

I had an ultrasound revealing a 6.4cm fibroid behind my uterus (my uterus is inverted) and a small cyst in my left ovary. My right ovary was not visible due to gas. My gyno says he's surprised Im in this much pain from my fibroid and does not recommend surgery, given its size. My endometrial lining was 3mm which is good, so no biopsy needed.

I have a history of endometriosis and have not had an ultrasound in nearly 18 years. My doctor wants to try to hunt down my old images and see if there was a fibroid there before and if it has grown in size. I am concerned I have a rapid growing fibroid as I was perfectly ok until two weeks ago. I am also frustrated because (1)he didnt believe me when I said I could feel my left ovarian cyst, when I could. (2) he doesn't believe my fibroid is causing this much pain and it is. I swear I can even feel my fibroid while just sitting here (perhaps because it was irritated by the transvaginal ultrasound?) Is the fact that I am down from a 9 in pain to a 7 indicate that its not a fast growing fibroid?

Im certainly not a paranoid person and don't "look" for symptoms. This has just all happened seemingly overnight. I will say though that I lost both my younger brother and father to cancer, both of whom had exactly one symptom each before being diagnosed at very advanced stages. Im crazy scared and am also seeking a second opinion. Has anyone had a similar sized fibroid causing crazy pain, out of the blue?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hello

I know this thread is a few months old but I was wondering if you had any resolution to this. My story is very similar, I'm 52 post menopause and have been found to have an 8cm fibroid, also possibly fast growing. My gynaecologist is pretty worried about it, I have had no bleeding but I do have some pelvic aching/pressure but nothing debilitating. I'm very worried right now.

• Posted

Hello i know this thread is not new .I am confused after my history which started this year. I am post menopausal and 50 plus . I went to my GP after long term symptoms of on:off bleeding , frequent urination sometimes incontinence and a sharp vulval pain once or twice a week . Suspicious of cancer i saw a gynaecologist after a pelvic and vaginal scan .The scans showed a 14mm endometrium (lining of the uterus ) and an ovarian cyst on my right ovary . A hysteroscopy showed a prolapsed fibroid ( my cervix was 4cm dilated accounting for the vulval pain ) The consultant ignored the 14mm uterus lining said my uterus was normal but i needed both ovaries removing as well as the prolapsed fibroid . I was consented for these and had surgery in March .I told this first consultant about constipation and the urinary symptoms and he dismissed these . During the surgery by a second consultant i had 3 pedunculated fibroids removed as well as the prolapsed fibroid i have 3 further fibroids in the wall of my uterus While i was unconscious they debated whether to do a hysterectomy but could not proceed as i had not been consented for this . The 2nd consultant spoke to me after surgery telling me i would need a hysterectomy which i accepted .The day after surgery i was told by a 3rd consultant that my symptoms were cured and i wouldnt need a hysterectomy i am pretty confused My symptoms have improved but are not gone totally and i have fibromyagia type symptoms which i attribute to both ovaries being removed The inconsistent approach by the 3 consultants and the 3rd one being downright rude the day after surgery I dont know whether to proceed****

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.