My flexible cystoscopy experience (female)

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all. I just wanted to share the details of my scope test, which I had today, and hope to reassure others who may, like me, be terrified of having this done. I opted for sedation along with the instillagel, which is squirted into the urethra with a syringe(no needle). When I met with the anaesthetist beforehand I told him I just wanted to be unaware but not fuzzy headed for hours or days afterwards. They had me lined up for Midalozam which I had read negative reviews about and didn't want. He instead gave me Diazepam 2mg and fentonyl through an IV. I did feel the cannula going into my hand but it was no worse than a blood test really. One of the drugs could be felt travelling up my vein, I'm not sure which one. After that I felt them applying the cold gel but that is it. I have "lost" around 15 minutes. It's amazing as I was not asleep. I couldn't hear them talking except when they wanted me to move off table onto my bed again. I felt like I had had no sedation but got the good effects from it. All is well in my bladder by the way, that's a big relief. What I did find out is that I have duplex kidneys which means one kidney has one ureter and the other has two!!. It's something that is congenital but I never knew about it. Nor did my mother!! It can leave me prone to kidney infections but doesn't normally need treated. I was desperate to pee when I left the recovery room and was dreading it. It was fine the first few times but obviously the numbing gel then wore off and it was like peeing acid! Now, 7 hours later I am not stinging quite so much but I am going every 15 minutes or so, which I am told is normal. Anyone who has read my previous posts will know how terrified I was of having this procedure but I can honestly say that I would do it again if I had to but definitely with the Diazepam cocktail. I don't even have a headache! I even called into some shops with my friend when she was driving me home. I was expecting to feel dreadful and hung over but apart from my eyes feeling very heavy I feel fine. 

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Very glad to hear no cancer or other bladder ailments. I feel if you would step out of your comfort zone and try the next one with out sedation you would be surprised. Glad to hear your healthy
  • Posted

Thanks for the post.  Due to have one and is dreading it, it is going to with local anaesthetic sedation.was not offered.
  • Posted

hi can, did you ever find out what caused your bleeding? I've been having microhematuria for almost 2 years now and only now being investigated for it. Still got a long wait though, April 1st is my first appointment. not sure what will happen. anyway I've read all your threads and noticed you stopped posting. just wondered what happened after the ct? hope all is well!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.