My gabapentin seems to have stopped working...

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has anyone else had this experience?  I started out on a low dose and had great results.  Now I am up to 1,800mg/day and it doesn't seem to be having much effect.  I am actually ok if I am not doing anything, but as soon as I use my foot, it gets so hot I could probably fry an egg on it!

My story:  was in a car/bike accident and ended up with the car parked on my foot.  Broke all my metatarsals in multiple places, but things were not that bad until...SURGERY.  After finally starting weight bearing I found I couldn't really feel my foot, but it worked.  Then I had oral surgery and my world exploded.  Insane nerve pain in my face and jaw which then transferred to my foot.  Anyone else here with CRPS?

Oh yes, and shooting pains up and down my thigh and calf whenever I stand or walk.

Thanks to anyone who responds.  Especially interested in those who found the gabapentin working at first and then not and those who are suffering from CRPS.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Violet, I stopped taking Gabapentin because I felt it no longer worked. I was on 2,700mgs daily (900mg x 3).

They have told me that I suffer from CRPS - my left leg is swollen, and painful, touch sensative and has a numb sensation, I am currently having further tests to rule out everything. This has been ongoing for many years.

Since stopping Gabapentin, I am more relaxed, less agigtated, which I was aware how bad I was until I stopped. Because I can relax now, I am able to rest too - i'd become a total livewire, which has deminished. 

• Posted

Thanks for your reply lolix1963.  I also am quite agitated from the drug, which confused me because so many others say it makes them tired and dizzy.  Not me!  It makes it hard for me to rest, and I have also noticed that I have no patience for anything these days.  And snapping at everyone.  I had attributed it to:  Not having one 'normal' day in 9 months. Nice to see someone else who has experienced my symptoms, because I feel like I am slowly going insane.
  • Posted

Violetb, I suggest you see your GP or consultant whomever you feel most comfortable with, and ask about coming off the drug.

I still take tramadol and baclofen for muscle spasms and cramps, also a small dose of amitriptyline at night- this has both pain killer and sedative effects, which was restarted in December (I stopped it 18 months ago because it became non-effective). Hope all goes well for you, do keep us posted.

• Posted

Thanks again, lolix1963.  I am seeing my doc next week.  I am wondering if I need to see a neurologist....?
    • Posted

lolix1963, I am also on Tramadol and Amitriptyline and Gabapentin which all work really well for me. I had a work injury to my back 12 months ago and can part-time work now on these medications. I lowered my dose which was difficult but on all three in lower doses is good for me.
  • Posted

I am taking 2,700mg a day of Gabapentin (just been increased) and to be honest it doesnt seem to be working at all anymore.  At first it was brilliant.  I was prescribed it for osteoarthritis in back and hips.  Also Tramadol slow release.  For a few months it was ok, then it was increased and increased and now nothing much seems to be happening other than a really dry mouth.  I do get pains in my leg, but I think I had that before (cant remember).
    • Posted

Thanks for your response.  Yeah.  My doc put me on an increasing amount of the Gabapentin, but I feel the same whether I am on 600mg/day or 2,100mg/day.  !

I see my doc this week and will ask him about it.

• Posted

Hi 1Tabstoyou & violetb,

Its seems to be the same for most - start in small dose and increase. However it seems many have a problem with coming off the meds with drastic withdrawal symptoms, which is why I first posted. Coming off them made me feel better, I am no longer 'highly strung', my mood has settled, and I can rest again.

I have no idea why it caused such an effect, but due to see the rheumatologist in February and see what they say or if they have had others with the same issues. I haven't got to hand one of the drug leaflets that comes in the box - if either of you do, it would intetesting to see what side effects are reported...

Wishing you well and hope your drs can help sort out something that will help you.

• Posted

Yes I'm currently in the same situation taking 1800mg a day, along with a 10 tens unit and now I feel as if nothing is working. I found this forum looking for some other alternatives that I could possibly share with my doctor because I'm literally going crazy with this constant pain and trying to move through it to get the things done for myself that I can, you know cooking, bathing, dressing, washing dishes all in while in hella pain.

My story: I injured my shoulder on my job and they of course didn't/don't think it's that serious and workers comp insurance is definitely riding with them and denying me just about everything my current doctor recommends that can possibly help me begin to heal. I've been going through this since July 2020 and I've been at my wits end dealing with this to the point I had a nervous breakdown at the end of August but anyway I'm glad I found this forum but I hate the fact that we all have to be apart of said forum. Thanks for reading, all advice, encouragement, remedies and suggestions are welcome.

• Posted

Ive been on gabapentin for 5 yrs starting at 300mg 3x daily and now taking 1200mg 3x daily however it really has stopped effective at all and the nerve pain is worse than ever ,especially on my right side . my right foot and ankle go numb at times on the outside but burns inside . over tge past few months Ive been experiencing nerve pain in my face and right forearm that keeps me from resting comfortably. ive been using a tenz machine 2x a day which helps but only forva few hours at a time. Headed back to see my doctor again but being its through the VA im not really confident theyll help much .

• Posted

Yes Violet b.

My circumstances are exactly the same as yours.

About ten years ago i had two vertoplasty procedures

i was on Gabapentin and Tramadol then they worked

with Morphine patches the operations took my pain away.

Since then Sciatica and i believe a breakdown off the previous

procedures has left me in a similar pain situation.

The Gabapentin 1800mg daily has stopped working after

taking it for the last year.I have had two spinai root nerve blocks and with ongoing severe pain i am due another type of intreveneous spinal infusion.

Although this new surgeon was keen to put me with a pain management team and a drug

called PREDNISONE A STEROID CORTISONE DRUG.

Not for me im afraid.

Regards Jim

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.