My gallbladder story and undecided on surgery

Posted , 2 users are following.

I’m a full time wheelchair user, cannot weight bare at all and have limited dexterity in my fingers. This will be relevant later.

I used to get this pain in my right side every couple months that would last all evening and be gone by the morning, although leaving me achy. I have had endoscopies and seen doctor’s who all just put it down the indigestion and heartburn which I was taking omeprazole for – probably because my diet wasn’t the greatest. The pain wasn’t consistent with eating fatty foods either, it could come on after eating jacket spud and salad! We thought maybe it was accumulative?

On June 24th, we had the above dinner and later that evening I started getting the dull ache/pain in my right side – thinking it was indigestion. I took omeprazole and paracetamol. Pain was still there all day Sunday, there was no relief, and I even took co-codamol. The Monday I went to the doctors, saw a new doctor who suspected gallstones…first person ever to say this! Told me he’d book me in for an ultrasound but didn’t say much else. Next day it was just as bad, so I contacted gp again, he spoke to the local hospital, and I was told to go in with the possibility of having to stay overnight. Dad took me in as I was in no state to drive! They gave me a canula in preparation for pain meds. Being in a wheelchair made it very hard side transferring with a canula effecting my arm movement!

Saw the on call doctor eventually who said it might be best to have a catheter as I cannot go to the toilet unaided. Felt like I had no choice and was one of the worst undignified experiences ever! Given some painkillers, antibiotics and oramorph (made me feel sick as anything!). The gallbladder was badly infected. Had the ultrasound later that afternoon thank goodness and they could see a fair few stones. Then had a chest x-ray, although no idea why. Had to stay in overnight, worst night sleep ever. Side room so took a while for somebody to respond when I pressed the button. Late afternoon the next day I was discharged but kept on the virtual ward and had to do my observations 3 times a day till they were happy. The on-call doctor said I would need to have my GB out, gave me a small list of things to avoid and what to eat instead. I shouldn’t eat white bread but could eat a meringue. Next 3 days I couldn’t eat, pain, very nauseous, constipated from all the meds. Friday night I had a sharp pain and Sat, back in again for an overnight stay, another catheter and pumped with meds.

For the next 2/3 months (after I recovered), I had a fruit smoothie and rice cakes for breakfast, salad wrap with fruit for lunch and whatever dinner the family had but they would cook better. I eventually added the odd pack of Popchips or a biscuit or a small portion of take away on somebody’s birthday. To this day, I have had afternoon tea out, 3 course meals out, pizza hut (2 or 3 slices and done) but the rest of the time I am so careful. I have not had a SINGLE gallstone attack since. Have lost around 3 stone (I had a lot to lose!) and dropped 3 dress sizes and am feeling really good! Been hard over Christmas as all I want to do is eat a big bowl or pringles/nuts/chocolates…

Point of posting on here is that I am very concerned and worried by reading real life experiences and not just stuff on the NHS site. Diarrhoea being the worst side effect. Now this is something I absolutely cannot deal with! I know I may not have that one but it’s a risk I can’t even take. If I have the sickness bug, I’m lucky if I make it to the toilet, side transfer over and pull my trousers down in time but to have no warning, not knowing what the triggers are. I wouldn’t be able to go out as disabled toilets are few and far between as it is! I would like another ultrasound to see what the stones are looking like, I’m managing it, had no attacks and have still enjoyed the odd thing – which is weird in itself as I thought fattier foods were supposed to trigger it…for me there was no rhyme nor reason!!

If you made it this far, I appreciate it!

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi im in the same boat as you as im struggling to alot with pain im waiting for a ultrasound GP said it could take a few weeks.

i understand where you comming from as your worried. if you get a attack again or you get the runs i think you should go to your GP and ask for a ultrasound and if the stones are still there then the only option will be to get it removed.

i just want myn removed.

i hope to hear from you

take care

• Posted

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear you've been in pain all this time and fingers crossed you get your ultrasound soon!

I've had no pain or another attack since the end of June and I'm hoping it stays that way to be honest, I know the stones don't disappear but when I finally have contact from the hospital, I will ask if I can have another ultrasound just to see what the stones are looking like or to see if some have miraculously come out!

Take care yourself!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.