My grandmother's dementia

Posted , 2 users are following.

In April 2016, my grandmother (79 now) fell in her apartment. She was never the same. Prior to that never really showing any neurological symptoms except mild delusions about workers in health community center and being lost in the city few times. She has diabetes, doesn't have dietary problems and her blood work is mostly allright. After the fall, it was apparent that she suffered memory loss, loss of movement in her legs, short term memory loss, hallucinations of dead or distant family members and inability to recognize her daughters and me, a grandson. She was put in a care facility and was prescribed Clozapine and Lorezepam (or Diazepam for a short while) and blood pressure medication. While in there she lost a lot of weight. Her eyesight was also getting progressively worse. Over the last two years there were ups and downs from the point of just not being able to move to the point of thinking that she's falling, talking to dead relatives and watching sheep almost at the same time. Overall her mental health was declining. Today I visited her and she was unable to completely move her legs or her legs to be moved as she felt a lot of pain. For the first time she was having difficulty talking and didn't talk unless she was talked to and then replying with yes or no, which is unusual. She only knew the names of her daughters and couldn't recognize voice or couldn't see anything except blurs. I could see every vein in her body due to weight loss. This isn't due to external factors such as refusing to eat or nurses refusing to give food to her.

Do any of you have any suggestion what could be the cause? 

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.