My hair has fallen out from taking Topamax.... At a loss finding best way to go about getting it to

Posted , 4 users are following.

After being on 100mg of Topamax for 3 months my hair has thinned out and I have bald spots now. My hair is thinning and balding more on one side than the other. So depressing! I was on Topamax to lose weight, which I did, but now Im so embarassed by my bald spots...

How will I know if my hair will grow back?

2 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ashley so I’m taking topamax for losing weight also. It’s just been 3 weeks starting at 25mg and now at 75mg.  Since day one I feel super sick from my stomach pains , gas, grossed out, super dry mouth and super thirty just for water.  Excessive urination, I can barely hold it.  My mind gets anxious of feeling so horrible.  Talking to my doctor tomorrow.  I want to stop this med ASAP.  How much weight have you lost? Are you going to stop taking it?
  • Posted

Congrats on your weight loss! I know how devastating hair loss can be.... the thing is what you are experiencing is temporary.. 3 years ago , I was put on medication for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and it also made me lose weight.... and my hair.... I was freaking out, my doctor explained that my body was in “shock” from the revved up metabolism and changes in diet, I was also going through significant life changes so my stress level was very high. She instructed to start taking a multivitamin and biotin supplement and manage my stress levels.... my hair grew back. 

Until last summer, I was in an accident and required extensive skin graft surgery.. the shock of the accident and stress started a new round of hair loss. I started the vitamins and biotin again and the shedding has stopped.my doctor  recently put me on topamax for the nerve pain  from the skin grafts, I was scared of the reports of patients losing their hair but she assured me that as long as I continue to take my multivitamin and biotin things should be fine and I read a lot of patient reviews stating the same

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.