My nana believes Ramipril is making her depressed

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, 

My nana has always had depression and is a very timid woman. She doesn't like leaving the house and never has enjoyed being surrounded by people. She almost missed all three of her childrens' weddings because of her conditions and missed my graduation last week because of how she is now. She's quite and always in pain, mostly from her mouth but also from rhuematism. I'm telling you this so you have a small character profile to judge her new behaviour on as missing my graduation is a massive shock because to her the sun shines out of my arse. So missing my graduation is a massive thing, even more than if she actually had missed her childrens' weddings. So now I feel there is definitely need to worry.   

She recently had a bad few days where she wouldn't leave bed and believed she was dying. My aunty and uncle took her to the doctors and they prescribed her with some anxiety medications - I don't know which one. Then she was fine for a month, back to her normal self. Still very timid and disliked leaving the house but could still go do her shopping and was as happy as she could be.

Last week, the doctors took her off her anxiety tablets and changed her blood pressure tablets to Ramipril - I don't know what blood pressure tablets she was on before. Since then she's been massively depressed. She can't leave the house and says she constantly feels terrible and once again thinks she's gonna die. She is currently going to the hospital for pains in her mouth and something to do with her spine but nobody knows anything yet, they're still testing. So I imagine that added with her depression can quite easily make someone feel as if they are going to die. 

My mum has come round and told her of a story of three women somewhere in the world who all had the exact symptoms that my nana has and it took a special doctor somewhere to connect the dots and realise that it was the Ramipril so now my nana believes it's Ramipril that is making her feel so bad. She refuses to believe that she's ever been like this before, even though she was in bed believing she was going to die before Ramipril. I've done some googling and it does seem that there's enough evidence that Ramipril can cause or worsen depression but my mum is a pretty strong liar who told her to stop taking her rheumatic medication and to replace it with fake CBD oil so I'd just like information from someone more reliable on Ramipril and depression. 

She also takes: 

Simvastatin, Levothyroxine, Mirtazapine, Ibuprofen and Cardide SR.

I guess my overall question is: can Rampril be the issue? She fully refuses to believe that she has ever been this depressed and therefore doesn't tell her doctor about her depression, even though she believed she was dying just over a month ago. 

Cheers for any help. Sorry if I seem out of touch with depression, I was diagnosed with anxiety at an early age because both my parents are addicts so I can semi understand her feelings but I've never been diagnosed with depression so I cannot fully understand it. 

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

So sorry to hear about your Nan.  It's been a while since you posted and things may have moved on - for the better I hope.  I've been on ramipril for about 2 months and in addition to the cough have also felt unbelievably and inexplicably tired and also of low mood.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.