My phobia of bones has not helped having my bunions done !!

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi all..... i sorry if i am boring everyone.. but this site is my god send.. since having this op, i find i can not watch anything on tv to do with bones, and most mad of all... i can not watch anything to do with people cutting with knives or preparing food with sharp knives... i know this is mad, i never did like anything to do with bones, could not even watch comedy shows with people with broken legs in plaster.. so having this done has really made me stomach turn...i tried to get into my car yesterday, auto just to see how it felt... but the thought of using the bones in my feet.... i had visions of them coming out of the socket... i just hope i can get this to fade as my feet get better.... has anyone else ever experienced this... or am i just not normal x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gillee

how far down the road are you in your recovery ? 

I'm now into week four and have not had any issues with bones/cutting/ops etc on TV. Embarrassingly I did go faint when my stitches were removed last week. I think if it had been someone else's foot I would have been ok. Now dreading the pins being removed from my toes. 

Im getting on really well around the house, no crutches until the end of the day when I'm tired. Just been to our little local Italian and struggled to go 100 yards. I'm going back to work next week so hope I improve mobility wise by then. This site is great for reassurance and just to voice your concerns with others in the same boat. Hope your queasiness passes soon x

• Posted

hi penny.... thanks for reply.... i did not expect any to be honest as its such a bazzar question lol.  i had both feet done together and one toe pinned. i am nine to ten weeks post op now and really stuggling with the not being able to walk properly, like you i dont have crutches and can potter around the house but as the day draws on the feet hurt with the swelling and are still quite sore... i know i still have quite a way to go before i really see the benefits of having them done....but had i not i would not had been mobile in later years, i am 55 and did not want to have surgery any later in my years... i know what you mean with the stitches.... omg... never known anything like it..i took this picture after having the stitches removed which took nearly two hours and like you i nearly fainted... i can stand pain quite well but this was something else...at first my dressings were so hard with dried blood they had to soak my feet in salt water to remove them... then the pulling to get stitches out... i nearly fell off the bed !!! but i must say i had my pins out two weeks ago and it was painless... very quick and i was so surprised..the stitches were so much worse than the pins so dont worry your be fine... i did take some pain killers before i went which i think may of helped, i wish you well and good luck with work, i think your going back to work so soon after so well done... i think the doctors dont really inform us how much is involved after surgery x
    • Posted

my right and left foot after during stitch removal... very painful and sore x
  • Posted

Hi Gillee

thanks for the pics. Your scar looks a lot more bloody than mine was. I'm lucky as that scar on my foot has dissolvable stitches as does the scar between my big toe. The ones that sent me faint were on top of my pinned toes so I'm a right big baby ! I've just read your last post and love your primark shoes. I have been worrying about shoes and just looked at the Tevo sandals, I will definitely be getting them. Can I ask, when you had your pins out did you take your own footwear to come home in ? I will be so glad to see the back of the post op shoe. I don't have another shoe the same height and being lopsided has given me a bad back which is even effecting my neck and giving me headaches, all from my foot ! Never thought I would say this but I'm desperate to do some housework and weed the garden. I will not take my mobility for granted in the future and empathise with those who are permanently immobile. 2 more days now and I will be back at my desk, it will be good to see how the old foot holds up. I'm very lucky though as I will be waited on by great colleagues and will have a leg rest supplied. Your holiday sounds like just the ticket to help with your recovery so have a lovely time xx

• Posted

hi penny, when i had the  pins out i went to the hospital in the black jimmy choo boots !!! i did not dream the doctor would say ok leave off the boots now... but i said to him i have no shoes to go home in so he gave them back to me... again no mention when i had the stitches out on what you would need for the pin day, i have not had much help from the hospital, no physio no info on after care at home, iv just got on with it, the day i had the pins out i walked out the hospital nearly holding on the walls for support... i had a cab outside waiting for me and the doctor sez as i am hanging on walls tiping to and from like them boots make ya do, ohoooo gillian have a fab holiday and you can drive now !!!! i shouted back does that mean i can also play the piano too... he just lauged and jogged along like he had seen it all before lol.... its good your going back to work, some sort of normality, iv just lost my job i think because i only told my boss i would be off for six weeks, my gp has just signed me off for another 13 weeks, i am not too worried about the work as i have to drive through central london through blackwall tunnel daily so i wont miss that one bit... guess i will just have to stay at home and find lovely shoes to wear on the internet..i hope you enjoy your time back at your desk and i am sure you will sleep sound at the end of the day lol cheers penny x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.