My plantar fasciitis is gruesome, and it extends into the surrounding bone, what to do?

Posted , 6 users are following.

After 2 years of intense pain and trouble standing, I've barely started self therapy, which includes iced water bottles, a rolling ball, and massage on the fascia band, but I did try acupuncture at one point, and didn't really feel better to be honest, although it was fun. So far, I don't feel any different, except that my fascia bands are swollen, and my feet don't wear out as much as they used to (by a litte bit), but I'm also concerned about the surrounding bone, at the ends of the plantar fasciitis on all four ends, and I'm wondering if anyone else knew if the pain went away eventually, like after starting treatment, or do I also have to ask my doctor about it? I see my podiatrist in like a few weeks, and I'd like to have an opinion from the people here. 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Have you not been to your Doctor before now, Rod?

If not, go visit him. Anti-inflammatories, like Diclofenac are a good help, but physio will be necessary as well by the sound of it. It should go after a few months, so you may have something else going on there as well.

Let us know how you get on. x

• Posted

I have, but I am barely going to a podiatrist now because I thought that it would go away eventually. 

I am curently taking Ibuprofen and Indomethacin, but I feel the same.

I've talked a lot to my doctor about it and orthotics, the rolling frozen water bottle, stretches and rolling a ball has come up. I really need to get in the habit of doing these, as tedious as they are.

I've also started massaging myself 10 minutes every day (5 in the morning and 5 at night) and that seems to help a bit, but it is way too soon to tell. My doctor said it might take weeks to heal at this pace.

• Posted

Hi rodolfodelator,

True PF is usually in the heel but you can have all kinds of other issues with that fascia tendon. From the nerves, inflammation, tearing it, etc. So it sounds like your problem is not just in the heel. It will need an MRI to truly find the problem and most likely from a Podiatrist. Regular MD's tend to just call it Plantar Fasciitis if there is ANY issues with it or the foot. So please find a caring podiatrist bc an Xray won't find it and you could waste lots of money and time trying things. Not to mention...never really getting healed. It's a hard one to get rid of as it is...but with God's help and some good Healthcare you might be able to get it under control. Please keep us posted!!

Ladyjack51

• Posted

I have had it over two years I have gone to physio, tried all of excersises and ice etc, got special insoles and have a night splint but hasn't made it better I also have it in both feet and now having problems with the legs as well, I'm in a wheelchair now. I been told by physio not anything else they can do for me so going to have to suffer with the pain
    • Posted

Hi christine71279,

This may sound crazy but it has worked for many people, including me!....Try rolling your heels (assuming you have true PF which is in the heels) on a frozen plastic bottle of water. I first had PF in both heels but I tried this and it left out of my right foot and has never returned! It did not work on my left heel but I have veinous insuffiency and lymphoedema in my left leg so I have issues in that leg. But at least I have 1 pain free foot now. I was amazed! It's worth a try so try it. If you have pain other than just the heel it could be nerve issues, or you can still have pain stemming from that fascia tendon bc its so long. Dr's tend to call any foot problem Plantar Fasciitis but without an MRI from a caring Podiatrist...they can't really know for sure. Let me know....ladyjack51

• Posted

What insoles did you purchase?

I was just like you, two years of pure hell and every treatment you can think of. As well as spending millions of dollars on shoes, inserts, medication, doctors ets......

The 4th podiatrist i saw told me to go to REI and purchase superfeet inserts. Within a month i was pain free and now as long as I swtich them out every six months I am good to go. SO THANKFUL FOR THEM. I remember thinking I am only in my 20s and if i have to deal with this pain and not being able to walk the rest of my life i dont want to. Now i can walk around all day and do everything i used to. I also stretch before bed and when I wake in the am smile

• Posted

Hi judy40952,

I've never heard of Superfeet inserts.....what makes them different, do you know? And did you have heel pain or what? That's exciting to hear how well they helped you.

• Posted

Yeah, I've been X-rayed twice and both say that the bones are healthy, so I assume it's issue with another part of the foot.

Thanks

• Posted

I have yet to purchase this, but I was advised to buy the green superfeet for my type of feet I guess.

I want to be able to not rely on orthotics, but I will definitely purchase them and also start on some strething.

• Posted

Rodolfodelator,

An Xray only shows bones....you can't diagnose PF with just an xray. That's why I said you have to have an MRI....that shows twndons, ligaments, etc. So many Dr's only do an Xray and that's useless. That's why I said you need a Podiatrist who cares enough to really check you out. You're just shooting in the dark if they dont.

• Posted

hi i understand your pain i am 17yrs yes 17yrs in the making of having plantar fasciitis i played sport all my life i'm a 41 yr old women 4 children nearly all grown up and have destoryed my feet with full contact sport and assoiciated sports i played rugby for 16 y rs and i am a senior mens league football ref for the F.A  ive been coaching for yrs but gave it all up as my condtion got me to the point of wanting to cut my feet off ! it is my right foot that ive had all the treatment on but now my left is presenting the same issues as it'sbeen literally carrying my right foot for years ! whart can i tell you but years of painkiller and non working treatments i will list them for you

physio

steriod injiections via ultrasound

shockwave therapy

autoglus injection ( my own blood ) re ijected into damaged area

stupuid amounts of painkillers

insoles

ice treatment

mri scan to rule out nerve damge

nerve condution tests

i have numbness in my toes nobody not even doctors kow why after all these tests and scans

plantar socks ( compression )

tape

so there you have it last resort surgery though my ortho surgeon won't do it says it s too risky teriffic !

so i am now sourcing info and going to seek another opinion how can you live the rest of your life in pain i'm on my feet all day i run my own gardens and grounds maintainance business i have two children left at secondary school one at uni and one working i have 3 working gundogs who are very high maintainance and require alot of walking and running and my feet are totally shot i'm in pain all the time worse in the morning and when i eventually sit down at night so will yours go away i really hope so i have exhausted all avenues so i hope you find a resolution but believe me you don't want my feet so work hard to overcome it as it consumes you and pulls you down i hope aa surgeon will take me on i have so much scarring and swelling i  haven't worn heels in years! good luck but my case i fear is terminal with little hope but i will  keep trying so you do as well.

sarah 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.